I’m Claudio ‘Nevril’ Parisi and today I’d like to share something I’ve been working on recently.
Item System Template - v0.2
This UE4 third person template presents an extendable, date driven, item system that features base actors the player can interact with, pick up from the game world, drop, use.
It is both C++ and Blueprint based to meet any game designer/programmer preference.
I developed it to target the RPG/Survival genres, but it can be easily adapted to your needs (nothing a bit of cut&paste can’t handle).
I’ve decided to open source it because I’m a software architect in a pretty different field (financial software) and I surely have a lot to learn about game programming.
I simply think that the best way to learn something new is sharing, so… here we are
At this stage of development, the template includes some basic features but more will be added in the future.
Due to my job, I don’t have much time to spare and I most certainly won’t be able to provide regular updates. I’ll do my best thou!
Please make sure you take a look at the README from time to time. I’ll try to include additional documentation and describe new features.
If you have any question o suggest, please feel free to ask and share!
- Developed and tested on Unreal Engine 4.15
- Both C++ and Blueprint based
- Full in-code documentation
- Data driven
- Interaction with items in the game world (Interactable class)
- Store, use and drop items in the player’s inventory (Storable class)
- Inventory as ActorComponent with inheritance support (InventoryComponent class)
- Item Stacking
- Easy to set up, customize and extend
- Basic UMG user interface included to show some of the features
- Most common item’s usages implementation
- Gathering System
- Crafting System
- Item Stacking support
- The inventory is now an ActorComponent which can be inherited and modified both in C++ & Blueprints
- Removed inventory parameters from the controller: they’re now available on the InventoryComponent
- Included additional parameters in the Storable datatable to support stacking and better define an item (e.g. Category, Rarity)
- Minor changes to the included UMG interface to show some of the v0.2 features
- Initial release
- Basic item pick up, drop, use support
- Basic UMG inventory interface