It is possible to convert mesh to UE5 landscape?

I have an openworld island which consist from 192 parts, i need to convert all terrain meshes to landscape. been trying to make heightmaps from the meshes, then importing them as heightmap using landcape tools but the results are awful:) or i don’t understand how to import them correctly. i have 64x64 png images in greyscale 16 bit depth. but when i do the import they are too little, the mesh have the size of 31 508 x 31 508 XY and Z (height is different from zone to zone depending from the terrain height)

Why would you? Its insane.
You have something that will work almost flawlessly and with good performance, and you want to ruin it by turning it into something that will never work and has to be changed back into static meshes to publish with?

1 Like

That’s because i wanted to use UE 5 Water, and it doesnt work without landscape

You are way better off making your own water system based on the files the engine peovides (or your own).
The water stuff provides next to nothing of value.

The hard part, SingleLayerWater is avaliable (.usf) on any material by changing the material’s domain.

Everything else the water attempts to do, can be made a lot better with some work and/or a marketplace plugin that already does it if replication is required.

Also, you’ll wrek performance ofc, but you can add flat landscapes under the meshes to gain access to the current water system and see what it does…
Theoretically, you don’t need the landscape to start if you have meshes emerging from the water. May need to fuss a bit with distance to nearest or making sure each landscape mesh has the option enabled to produce distance fields, but it should work Ok regardless (if you discount performance?)

1 Like