issues with mosaicing unwrap method / texturing style

Hi everyone

I understan the new MOSAICING unwrap method / texturing style is still experimental.

I found the texture quality has really improved with this new feature, however we are experiencing weird artfefacts.

Please see screenshots below:

1. RC Mosaicing settings used:

1. Texturing results with mosaicing activated (compare sharpness/blurriness differences between left and right section):

1. Texturing results with old settings active (geometry-based unwrap and visbility based texturig style). Sharpness/details equal between left and right section):

Questions: Is there any advice / RC setting changes that you can share from your end, about how to avoid these non-consistent texturing results?

We’d really like to use teh new feature as much as possible, given teh better quality it produces for our use case (humans/clothing)!

Here’s the link to the project file and image sets used (2 image layers for texturing and for geometry).

RC project file

I look forward to your advice and ideas.

Thanks very much!!

Regards, Sabry

Hi Sabry,
can you try to set higher values for Large triangle removal threshold and Gutter? Can you also try to use different style for the Unwrap method?
Are all the used images focused?
What is the resulted texture quality? When you was comparing the resulted textures, have you created also a new unwrap (separately) for the model?

Hi Ondrej, thanks for your reply. Not sure if you have seen the link I provided in my post…?
It contains the complete image set as well as teh RC project file containing several (duplicated) models that were textured with mosaicing unwrwap enabled and alternatively with geometry-based unwrap enabled. You can see the output differences in the screenshots I provided above. I really liked the detail and crispness of the mosaicing textures but sadly it created weird inconsistent patches that were blurry and with seams between sections (see screenshots in my last post).

I will give it another go and have geometry-unwrap combined with mosaicing-texturing style enabled. Not sure about teh correct values for large triangle removal / gutter values …trial and error I guess…

Will keep ypu posted :slight_smile:

Hi Ondrej,

I have applied changes in the settings as proposed - see screenshot below:

However the results are the same, see below…it still creates large random blurry texture patches on her jacket (as an example):

Any other ideas? Did you get an opportunity to look at my file / image sets?

Thanks!!

It seems like the issue is related to your used images - some of them are not focused and those unfocused parts are then used in the mosaicing texturing process. You can try to disable those unfocused images in the texture process.
Image:

Unwrap:

Texture:

Hi Ondrej, thanks for your reply and suggestion.
Somehow I am not 100% convinced yet…
I looked at the image set one more time and found that the image quality (focus / sharpness) of all concerned cameras poses is very very similar…and I wonder why exactly this patch got blurred out like that as there are sufficient focussed camera poses to capture this area?

Regards, Sabry

Hi Sabry,
unfortunately the application doesn’t know if the image is focused properly or not. It takes the image, which is most suitable for that area and in this case it is the unfocused one. The only way is to disable such image for texturing, as I mentioned. I am sorry, but there is no other option, yet. We are still working on the improvement of this feature.

Hi Ondrej, I understand…and certainly look forward to any future improvements and developments.
One last question, pertaining to my earlier post about similar or equal image quality of camera poses surrounding the blurry texture sction on the jacket:

Is there any way to find out or identify the particular images or single image that was eventually used in the final texture build algorithm? Or is it a mash up of multiple images, creating a “blended” (blurred) quality…still struggling to achieve better results by trial & error image disabling approach :roll_eyes:

Thanks!

Hi, for one part of the mesh should be used one image. But there is not a specific way how to find it. Basically, it should be the one most perpendicular to the area.

Thanks for the feedback Ondrej. Eventually the only solution that worked for me was to change back teh unrwap method to “geometric” :slight_smile: The texture reprojection quality ended up slightly less crisp/detailed than with the mosaicing method…but still acceptable for now.

Thanks for teh support and happy to close the ticket!
Pelase keep us posted on any improvements with regards to the mosaicing feature.

Regards, Sabry

Just one final comment Ondrej for your reference and information:

Below are two snapshots of the texturing results using an identical image set, processed

(1) with mosaicing unwrap method and texturing style enabled and

(2) with classic geometry-unwrapping and visibility-based texturing style. While the mosaicing shows better sharpness/crispness in most areas…it creates some weird blurred out patches, in particular on high-frequency details too…so I am pretty adamant at this point in time it has nothing to do with the focus-quality of the projecting source image…and more work is needed on the mosaicing feature…which in my opinion is nonetheless a very promising one!

Thank you, Sabry.
We are aware of some issues regarding mosaicing texturing and we are working on the improvements.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.