Issue with editor resolution scaling

This is a strange one. Generally the editor looks a bit like this. Pretty normal right? Looks sharp. Here’s my view. Note all my other applications look just as sharp as applications on a standard 1080 display would, but UE4 seems to render all of the ui at some lower resolution, despite being on a 1080 display. I haven’t found anyone with this exact issue yet either. Anyone know if there’s something i missed in the setup?

Tried resetting your window settings? Maybe something got whacked out…?

→ Windows → Reset Settings

Also, go into EDITOR SETTINGS and RESET TO DEFAULTS. Might not be it, but that’s what I would try… Good luck!

Have you tweaked the settings of the Widget Reflector at all? This is used to change the resolution of the editor. It’s worth checking, in case something went wrong, by mistake.

You can access this using the menu bar, by going to Window > Developer Tools > Widget Reflector. Once you’ve opened it, you can use the “Application Scale” option to change the value. The default, is 1, I believe. If there’s any other value to be found, that is likely the cause of this problem.

Hope that helps. Let us know if it does =)

Hi AlexandertheOK,

As DanielBennifer suggested please check your Widget Reflectors first, located here:

If that does not resolve the issue, I’ll need some more information:

1. You stated that it generally looked OK… When did this start to occur?
  2. Did this change with an update to the Engine?
  3. Is the User-Interface blurry, but the contents of the viewport clear -if not are all elements blurry?
  4. Are you on a PC or Mac?
  5. Please provide your system specs: dxdiag for PC or Mac specs located here: Apple menu >About This Mac>More Info> Add the information from this window (serial # not necessary).

Thanks,

Hi AlexandertheOK,

Since we have not heard back from you in a few days, I am marking this thread “resolved” for tracking purposes. However, if you are still experiencing an issue with the editor displaying in a lower resolution, simply respond with the requested information and we will continue to investigate.

Thanks,

Hallo everyone

I’m also using Windows 10 and had the same issue and tried out the same with Widget Reflector scaling, but that result was way too blury. That did not solve the problem. That’s for people with huge 4K monitors etc.
Then I realized that the Epic Games Launcher had that problem as well. Too big and blury.

So I was able to solve this by simply going to the Epic Games Launcher (windows) shortcut and changing the properties via right click “properties” > “compability” tab > and checking “disable scaling at high DPI values”

Hope that helps :^)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. I have converted it to the answer for people in a similar situation.

This worked for me…thanks

I actually prefer the Widget Reflector solution. In my case, I need to set it to 0.8 since with a value of 1 the UI appears too large. This only started happening in Engine version 4.18. Is there any way to save the WIdget Reflector scaling setting so it doesn’t reset every time I start the engine?

Hi, I had the same problem. i updated to 4.18.1 and Editor opens in low resolution. In 4.17 all was OK

Same thing is happening to me, since 4.18, my editor UI is weird and I have to tune Widget Reflector to 0.8 as well.

I am still having this issue with 4k even with “disable scaling at high DPI values” unchecked in both 18 and 19. The UI appears to be crisp and clean but the viewport is not.

This is due to changes in the size of windows desktop shortcuts, if you change the scale to 100%, UI and viewport becomes crisp and clean. Аnd then you can use Widget Reflector.

Does anyone know how to fix this in the latest versions of Win 10? The setting mentioned above has been removed.

I’m having issues where get viewport size is returning scaled sizes instead of the correct resolution.

Same problem here on 4.25. Its years later and the issue isn’t resolved. WIdget Reflector scaling wont save. Its a pain having to do this every time I open a project.

PLEASE FIX THIS

1 Like

Is there any way to save the WIdget Reflector scaling setting so it doesn’t reset every time I start the engine?