Issue launching from Windows to iOS... failed to connect to bundle (new to UE/iOS development)

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to Unreal Engine, but have experience in programming, game design, and have used UE for a few student projects in the past. I wanted to develop an iOS game on UE on my Windows machine and I’m running into issues right out of the box. First thing I wanted to do is test to see if I can get it to launch on my phone before I start to build anything important. I have read this tutorial several times from the official documentation and I keep running into the same issue. Every time I try to launch the game in order to test on my phone, I get a “failed to connect to bundle” error, along with a IPP Error, and then the automation tool throws an exception. Obviously, there is no code involved, and I have done everything required in the official documentation. I’ve tried to google the solution, and I also tried posting this question in the Answer Hub, but I could not find a viable answer and no one helped in in the Answer Hub, so I’m hoping someone here can help guide me in the right direction.

You can find the full log file by clicking this link.

Here are the errors I explained before:

LogPlayLevel: DeploymentServer: Failed to connect to bundle ‘com.antoniodefrancesco.MyProject’ with Unknown error 0xE80000B7

LogPlayLevel: IPhonePackager: IPP ERROR: Application exception: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Invalid provider type specified.

LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.CommandUtils+CommandFailedException: Command failed (Result:1): C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\IOS\IPhonePackager.exe RepackageFromStage “Engine” -config Development -schemename UE4 -schemeconfig “Development” -sign -stagedir “C:\Users\anto
n\Documents\UE4_Projects\MyProject\Saved\StagedBuilds\IOS” -project “C:\Users\anton\Documents\UE4_Projects\MyProject\MyProject.uproject” -iterate -provision “MyProject.mobileprovision” -certificate “iPhone Developer: Antonio D (7EY33X7B96)”. See logfile for details: ‘IPhonePackager-2017.12.06-11.35.47.txt’

If anyone could provide any help at all, I would really appreciate it. I feel like I can’t really get started until I solve this issue.

I have the same issue,do you handle the problem?

Ok, some things that i learned last couple of weeks:

• You gonna need a Mac to build remotely if UE4 have any need to compile any code. Even if your app is Blueprints only, some plugins will need to be compiled in Xcode on a Mac.
  • If it turned that your app needs to be compiled on Xcode then you need to let Xcode create the Certificates and the Signing Keys as it will not compile with certificates that are not signed.
  • If you are working on a Google VR iOS app, dont bother there’s a bug that prevents shipping ipa from working without crashing.

Here are the steps i took to manage building remotely:

1 Create a Developer account on developer.apple.com and pay the 100$.

2 Get a Mac (or a sort of Mac) and install Xcode 9.

3 Open Xcode and in preferences-Accounts log to you Developer account Apple ID.

4 Create a iOS Developer and iOS Distributor certificates on the “manage certificates” button.

5 Go to developer.apple.com and create an AppID with the same name of your Unreal project, add your test devices and generate 3 provisions. One for developer, AddHog and AppStore.

6 Download the provisions to your PC.

7 In Xcode on your mac Preference-Accounts click the “Download Manual profiles”

8 In Xcode Preferences-Accounts-Manage Certificates Export both certificates to your Mac desktop.

9 Open your Keychain and import those certificates exported from Xcode to the System tray (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) as rSync cannot interact with the Login tray of the Mac Keychain (and that’s where Xcode add the certificates by default)

10 Go to the Login Tray of the Mac Keychain and export each certificates (the developer and the Distribution) separately in the form of Certificates files. And Export the Keys to those certificates in the form of .P12 files.

11 Transfer those 4 exported files to your PC.

12 Open unreal and in Project preference iOS tab import both certificates and when asked for a key submit the .P12 key exports respectively.

13 Add the provision profiles you previously downloaded from the developer.apple.com.

14 Uncheck all Certificates and provisions and let unreal manage which to use.

15 get the IP address of you “Mac” and add it to the remote server with a administrator Mac account.

16 Run Create SSH permission file. Submit the password for the administrator user twice.

17 In the Mac´s System Preferences-Sharing enable remote Login allow access to all users.

18 Sometimes it takes a Restart to read new certificates on the Mac.

19 Go to your Unreal PC Save all and Build.

Hope this saves you all a headache.

I’ve followed these steps, and unfortunately I’m still having the same issue.