Isometric Camera Problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my isometric camera not working.
I’m trying to achieve a result like Diablo / Pillars of eternity but with the camera spin feature.

Problems I have include keeping the player in the middle of the screen and the inaccuracy of the mouse cursor and player character movement.

Here are two videos illustrating the issue;

If anyone could provide some help, that would be awsome!

To keep Player in the middle of the screen you just need to setup camera to always follow Player Character.
I don’t see the issue with movement accuracy. Can you explain it in more details?

The issue is is that I’ve combined my blueprints with the default top down template. Changing it into an orthographic view with the camera far away has caused the click and go to glitch out.

You can see this in how the mouse is all over the place, and the character is going sideways.

So this feels like two separate issues. dealing with the first, the camera centering, you may want to check your the component section of your TopDownCharacterBP. I’m guessing it might be working but isn’t centered, by this I mean that the spring arm component isn’t at 0,0,0 on the capsule anymore. A quick test with the default camera setup on it resulted in this for a rotation attached to the right mouse button.

311344-close-1.gif

The Mouse Setup for Reference:

Thats one of the nice things with the spring arm. that way you arn’t making modifications to the camera itself, like you do in the construction script.

As far as the mouse accuracy, I haven’t looked in depth at your video but I’m guessing its either a change you may have made to the mouse stuff, or its a side-effect of how your trying to pull your camera back. I modified my values as following to pull the camera back a bit to get that farther feel you are talking about as seen here… I changed the spring arm length, and then reduced the cameras perspective. I’ll try to add the images in a response here as I’ve hit the max size with the gif.

The Changes to the spring arm and camera.

And then the resulting effect:

311353-far.gif

Thanks a lot for going into detail in your answer. I think I may have just overcomplicated the isometric camera.
I More or less did this to try and avoid some rendering issues that some people have reported with isometric cameras, and to have a little more control over settings. I’ll try and apply what you’ve shown here and report back my findings. Thanks!

If your talking about the whole issue with a camera being set from perspective to orthographic yeah, that issues been around for a long time for some reason. shadows and lighting just don’t work right with a camera in that mode.