Is Windows Phone support planned?

Did I indicate that there was a conspiracy? No, but, thanks for putting words in my mouth there in your attempt to discredit me. My statement regarding epic’s opinion of the windows store is based on 's (the founder of epic) “concerns” about windows store AND to further quote him "that (windows store) sucks compared to the open nature of the PC platform before…”. It’s no secret that he has a problem with it. I can’t say that he’s wrong but I would rather be able to choose for myself which platforms to publish for.
[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy wasn’t the right word, my apologies.

Can’t blame you for wanting more choices for deployment, I know the variety of platforms supported was the reason I went to Unity myself. I came over to Unreal because most of the platforms I care about are supported, but it’s not 100%.

As far as numbers go, yours don’t help your case. This is about selling software not about who is winning the smartphone wars. It seems you’re saying that 30+ million windows phone 8 devices are not worth coding for. That’s just crazy talk imo. Unity3d (for example) manages to allow easy porting to all platforms which opens my market up to an additional 30-40 million windows phone 8 users AND all users of windows 8 modern UI that prefer modern ui apps (tablet users for example) which is certainly in the many millions more. I would like to do the same with UE4 but, unfortunately, that isn’t an option.
[/quote]

30 million is a lot. But if those are the numbers that implies 933 million for Android. If I had limited resources and needed to prioritize my efforts toward one platform or the other, it’d certainly be toward Android at this point in time.

Not sure if it’s your intent but your saying “the source is available” comes off as condescending to me. Who in their right mind would undertake a project of that scale and complexity JUST so you could publish your game to a platform, realizing that you could never monetize the updated portability or IP. The only entity that can profit from adding platforms to UE4 is going to be epic.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely not my intent, I’m just bad at textual communication. Sorry about that, on these forums I’ve come across as a jerk in text multiple times when (I hope) I might not have verbally.

I sincerely would like to see more platforms supported, and I had hoped perhaps you had the resources to help with Windows Phone. I’ve seen the community working toward Linux support and it looks like in a few months I might even be able to reasonably develop from Linux. Figured with a little encouragement you might be the catalyst for getting Windows Phone up there as well, something the entire community would benefit from.

Thank you for the clarifications. It sounds like we’d both like to see more platforms and just have a different take on the progress and direction in that area.
I think UE is a great product it’s just a bummer that it’s not available on all the platforms I want to be on. Regarding the smaller user base of windows phone (and modernui in tablets), I actually consider that an opportunity. I think there’s still time for someone to stand out in that smaller app crowd.

As for contributing to a port for windows phone, I think it’s beyond the scope of anyone outside of epic or microsoft, actually, that does bring up the fact that microsoft would be another entity that could benefit from a port. Maybe they should look into grabbing the source and doing it themselves… Linux porting on the other hand, by the community is probably far more doable with the right group of people.

It’s not that they wouldn’t do it, it’s just that they still have work to do on Android and iOS and those are taking priority.

They should support it because the Android dev. system is a complete abomination compared to windows phone.

I don’t think the difficult part is the porting, but providing support for the port afterwards. Who does it and foots the bill? Microsoft? Epic?

Either way, it’s obviously something I’d like to see, as Microsoft employee and UE4 developer :).

Microsoft could pay for it if they wanted to have it done, either they haven’t thought about it or they aren’t interested. I’m sure Apple has paid a bit to Epic, like exclusivity for Infinity Blade.

as a WP user, this is unacceptable. We get treated as third class in everything while phones that bend get glorified.

I’ll revive this. I’m currently using Unity when I need to make stuff for Windows Phone. I love everything (price, quality, open source, what could we ask for more?) about unreal engine so, I really want the support. 8.1 or 8.0, any release would be great. I’m a microsoft supporter and a Windows Phone user. Android / iOS wouldn’t be a problem when releasing but releasing an app / game on every big platform but your phone’s platform, is ironic as hell.

It seems like most people that want Windows Phone support just want it because that’s the phone they have, not because it’s something they want to develop for.

I really don’t understand why big game developers (except for Gameloft) are neglecting Windows Phone.

Windows Phone now has a large growing user base and users would like to play great games on their Windows Phones.

I am a Windows Phone user and a game developer who uses Unreal Engine 4 and I am really annoyed because developers do not care about Windows Phone.

I hope that developers’ vision to Windows Phone changes soon.

Thanks for reading

The reason is because the install base is very very very small, since they are still working on improving iOS and Android there’s no reason for them to spend time on supporting such a small platform when the most important ones aren’t where they want them to be yet.

But, I think with Windows 10 they may add Windows mobile support, since it will be easier to take a Windows 10 app and bring it to phones that have Windows 10.

Windows Phone isn’t a small platform. It has a large growing user base. From my point of view, Windows Phone is the best Phone OS and if Microsoft makes its hardware better, it will be the best from the point of view of all people

No, it’s a very small platform, it’s 2.5% of the market, which means they’re going to work on iOS and Android before doing anything with Windows Phone.

It’s a very small platform at the moment but with Windows 10, I feel it will be quite bigger. I own no Windows devices apart from Windows Technical Preview, but I’d love to have this.

Maybe we could have a forum for it so we can co-ordinate any maybe get the community involved in building for Windows devices? :slight_smile:

Do you think that it will be easier for you with Windows 10? I would love to see it on WP.

I really would like to see support for the Windows Store in general, especially considering the imminent release of Windows 10, and universal apps for both ARM and x86-based processors.

quote:
" If it’s so important to you, remember that you have source access. You can pay someone to get it working on Windows Phone [SIZE=3]**or do it yourself./**SIZE] "
Wow. Smiles…::o

Bump, because soon the first wave of Windows Phone 10 upgrades for 8.1 smartphones will start.

Not happening–since there’s not enough interest in Windows Phone itself there’s not going to be support added for it specifically, and in case you haven’t seen the article here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war
Basically the Universal Windows Platform option isn’t going to happen either because of restrictions of UWP apps.

Unity supports UWP, I don’t see why UE4 couldn’t.