Is Unreal Support on Vulkan/Linux good now?

I remember, a while back that I made a thread saying that the support for Vulkan needs to be improved. Has Unreal done anything in that time? I don’t want to get 30 FPS while I get 100+ FPS on Windows.

It seems ok. Has to move the editor window once like in UE4 days to get beyond 60 fps. I fell that I am getting similar performance. Though I have to admit I mostly use UE on linux and only windows unreal for some testing. I was able to port major portion of city demo to unreal linux with lots of modification.

No, any improvements in UE5 since that thread I linked

No Unreal editor improvements. But there is improvements in performance, because of newer mesa drivers and wayland improvments. But I was already getting comparable or better performace to windows (with Rx6900xt, 128gb ram).

Only issues I have with UE linux on wayland
is I cant copy reference or anything from inside the editor as text. Also cant paste anything from outside.
No drag and drop.
You cant search for material nodes and blueprint nodes without dragging from a prior point.

These are not fixed even in the ue5-main (5.3)

These issues not there in when using unreal with x11 instead of wayland. But it give less performace compared to windows version of Unreal and also seldom cause hang for a few seconds when you have like 5+ vewports open with meshes with lot of nanite polygons with multiple materials having with 1500+ material instructions.

I still get the same performance, on my game I made with UE 5.1. It can’t be a driver thing, I am using an RX 6500XT.

No replies?

No replies again?

Tested modified version of citysample on both linux and windows. Found that on windows version is few fps faster at times. So linux version is only about 5% slower than windows version, with very heavy scenes. That seems acceptable when it comes to performance.

But its true that unreal editor for linux needs few bug fixes and better support for modules which are only whitelisted for windows and mac. But unlike UE4 days you can use it as your main development platform when working with unreal using c++ (blueprint and material graph needs bug fix to be usable under wayland(fixed in 5.2 release version)).

I could not find that much difference between windows and linux, as you mentioned in the post you linked. You may have to consider the possibility that the issue could be caused by your distro and its combination of driver and wayland/x11 too.

It would be better if you could post your distro version, if you are on x11/wayland, your ram and cpu ?

Sorry for late reply, I am on Arch Linux with Wayland, I didn’t have any of those Wayland issues you mentioned. RAM is 16GB and CPU is Ryzen 5600G

1 Like

It works, you can use it. But you probably won’t be able to run it on native wayland except possibly under plasma. Works well on X11.

It crashes quite a bit though, not sure if it’s normal or if it’s a linux thing. Game engine editors do tend to crash a lot in general i’ve noticed.