Is unreal engine something for beginners?

No it is not. To make good looking games I recommend learning how to program, or paying a team thousands of dollars to do it for you.

I’ve posted this time and time again on these boards. You cannot, CANNOT, make a truly good game unless you’re willing to put lots of time and effort into it. You also need to be intelligent. There’s a reason people in the video game industry get paid well. They have skills that not everyone has. They’re smart. They’re creative. The sad truth is, if you’re not willing to put a lot of work into this, it’s not going to happen.

The simplest programming languages to start out with are Java and C#, and the most used languages are C and C++. Start tinkering with them. If you want to try out something less programming-heavy, use Adobe Flash to start off, then move up.

That is best joke I have heard today.

It is actually well known that people in game industry are generally paid far less than in other IT branches or film industry (in case of artists).

I started with Gamestudio and Torque 3D and about 6 months later ended up with Unity. This was 2 years ago. I would not call myself a noob but I am nowhere near an expert either. In my humble opinion no game engine is beginner friendly. UE4 has most all of the things built in that other game engines will have you buying from there Asset Stores. Some of those assets don’t work well with one another and you can quickly find your self ina 6 month wait and chase the easy button scenario. Rather than buying a bunch of assets just get a C++ and or BP book and dive in. If you go with Unity get a C# book. I highly recommend UE4 because it has everything built in and a great community around it full of tutorials.

If you look at the UE4 market Place all the products are based on offering Mechanics, Props, textures, sounds ect… but none are offering Engine parts that should be included in the engine anyway. You also won’t have to put up with all the people showing off the Pro version of the engine and you may only have the standard version.

So in conclusion, I would urge beginners to start here with UE4. I use both Unity 3D and UE4 but if I had to choose I would pick UE4.

This is such an subjective question and is mainly dependent on how what kind of person you are and how you work with game engines. In reality, I think you should really try and test for yourself to see which game engine suits you. It is very subjective.

Indeed. It is also case for programmers if you are not top one. Consider that in “normal” IT you get years long projects (i am working on project that is like 20 years old, well its 5.4 version now). So in “normal” IT if you are doing well (or above average) you don’t need to worry about job security. In game business after game is shipped there is huge chance of writing new updated CV soon.

Even if salary in game industry was exact as in “normal” and boring job, if you include those unemployed periods between games, your average will be around 70% of your salary. And that is reason i am sticking to my boring job. And game dev is a hobby.