Is Unreal Engine 4 good for a Tycoon sim type of game?

I’m not sure if unreal engine 4 would be a good engine for a tycoon sim type of game…would you recommend it or go with another engine? Due to I haven’t seen any tycoon games built on unreal engine.

Hi,

I am fairly new coming into UE4 myself and find that the learning curve is a lot greater (harder) than say, Unity (comparing as an example as these are two major game engines being used commercially). This is because with UE there is a framework in place that must be followed in respect with the way GameModes, Controllers, Pawns etc. link up. Whereas with Unity you have a blank slate and can only work with Components which attach to game objects which in turn get spawned into the game world and it is up to you to create the framework of how you want the game to work.

That being said, if you take the time and effort to learn the framework of UE4 then the bonuses you get from it are far greater than Unity in the long run. For example, adding multiplayer support is far easier in UE4 than Unity provided you stuck with the framework.

As someone who has worked in both engines, I find that the UI and UX (minus the editor crashes if working with C++) in Unreal is far greater than Unity to.

All in all though, you could make a Tycoon game in either engine, just remember to learn the ins and outs of the framework provided by UE before you get started in it (i.e. follow some tutorial courses first and read the documentation).

Nick

UE4 is a general use engine, so it can make ANY game.