Is unreal engine 4 a good start for beginers at making 3d games

people that are new to developing inn 3d will need a easy to use software to use and I was wondering if unreal engine is good for beginers

I can’t speak for everyone, as it is not entirely clear what part of 3D games you are working on, or what your specific goals are, but here’s the thing:

Games take lots of people with different, highly specific/dedicated careers. I.e, programmer, artist, world designer, etc.
If you further explain what you already know how to do, perhaps I can help you more, but it would helpto know. Regardless, UE4 is defenitely a fantastic start (and finish, considering it is pretty industry-standard right now next to unity).

If you want to make very graphically-simple games (solid colors, simple objects, like unturned) then unity might be a better choice as many prefer it’s programming. Depending on your own understanding of programming, it may be better to go with UE4, as it comes with the node system called Blueprint, which is AMAZING for beginner programming and seeing results fast. Both have massive amounts of tutorials online and on youtube…

TLDR; Depends what you already know, UE4 has more basic programming option available but is also deeper as far as graphics go, both have lots of tutorials, and so both unity and UE4 are great starts, but depending on programming skill, one may opt for UE4

Well… I’ve been new with the Unreal Engine last year and i knew that its not gonna be easy to just make a game from scratch. But if you really want it. I mean. REALLY. With all the tutorials on youtube… you can make what ever you want.

Last week, I did my first live test on my dedicated server with friends, and i’m making an online multiplayer survival game. With a combat system, loot and drop item, inventory system. So if you really want it.

Just do it. NIKE

In my opinion:

Well, first, some backstory about my perspective: I went to school for game development, I’ve been working in games and software since high school, and for as long as I can remember playing and building games has been my passion. I’ve used a good number of different engines and frameworks (Unity, UE4, Cocos2D, SpriteKit, SceneKit, SDL, and many others) and even built my own game engine and published my own games.

That said, in my opinion, the answer to the question “is UE4 good to start learning 3D games?” is:
No

I want to be clear: I’ve been using UE4 for over a year now, and I’ve grown to like it very much. It has some amazingly powerful features that make it a gold standard for my game engine requirements. However, for every feature there is a nasty, pointy, unfriendly underbelly. I’ve been working with UE4 for over a year and there are still features, design patterns, and limitations that surprise me every week. And I am still struggling to find a comprehensive way to discover all of these things in a controlled way (instead of in the middle of a feature).

UE4 feels like a professional tool. It has built-in editors for tons of common game development tasks, it provides a huge library of functions and pre-built objects, and it is open source and cross-platform. All of these things are amazing!

But, again, with each of these things comes a steep and unavoidable learning curve. Need particles? Well, you have to find a tutorial to explain the bewildering (but powerful!) Cascade editor. Programming choices? Either Blueprint, which feels a bit chaotic and slightly limited, or C++ where NULL pointers crash your editor and you have to wait 10-20 seconds just for cryptic compiler errors. Even for beginners, understanding the architectural choices and “Unreal supported” patterns often feels like a puzzle.

UE4 is amazingly powerful. But I think it’s a bad learning platform. Unity is a much more beginner-friendly engine than Unreal. But once you find that Unity’s rails are too restrictive (give it a year or so), then you’ll be happy to find an engine as powerful and open as UE4.