Is UE5 Anim BP broken? Animations that looped in 4.27 don't loop in 5.1 in State Machine

So I’ve noticed a strange issue where animations in UE5 will stop looping. In 4.27, I could import animations and plug them right into state machines and they would loop without issue. For some reason with UE5, the animations will not loop, and will often freeze at the last frame of the animation until the state is changed. It is extremely strange, and is really tempting me to go back to UE4.

Unfortunately whenever I use UE4 after 10 minutes, the menus flicker and I have to restart it. I don’t remember UE being this buggy in the past…

1 Like

I’m sorry if this is insulting, but obviously it needs to be asked before moving on to other possible issues: You have the looping checkbox on the animation checked right?

I’ve tried it with both, made no difference. Even in 4.27 I didn’t need that box checked, yet it would loop perfectly. I’m not sure if animations loop automatically when in a state machine, but it doesn’t make any difference.

It’s worth mentioning I tried different things, with the engines, with the exact same steps:

If the project was created in UE5, the animations wouldn’t play right.
If the project was created in UE4, the animations would play right.
If the project was created in UE4, then opened in UE5, the animations would play right.
If the project was created in UE4, then opened in UE5, then NEW animations were added, only the NEW animations wouldn’t play right.

Therefore, something has changed in UE5 that might be some kind of default setting that is breaking my animations. Or the engine is bugged.

The animations I’m using all seem to work. It might be some setting with your importing.

This isn’t a fix, but if you really are bugged, you may have to try just always adding them to a UE4 project first and then migrating them.

Same issue. I have an animation created in Blender and ported through to UE 5.2. In the character Blueprint the animation loops no issue. I can even put the blueprint in the world and it will loop. As soon as I put it into an animgraph state machine it does one l cycle and then freezes. Stop and go back to idle, then go again, and I get another cycle and freeze. There must be a setting somewhere?

Whoops:

There is a Loop checkbox in the Settings section of the animation’s Details panel that seems to get unchecked by default when the animation gets added to the Animgraph’s Output Animation Pose. It is under the PlayRateScaleBiasClamp dropdown.

1 Like

I have the same problem here and I couldn’t solve it. Even clicking on the loop option in Assets detail - Animation and leaving it selected it still doesn’t loop. I’m working on Unreal 5.1.1

1 Like

I am having the same issue with Unreal 5.2. My Anim BP plays an animation once in each state. If I just drag in the animations, they loop no problem. It seems to only happen in Unreal 5.2 for me.

Im having this issue when I updated to UE5.2, but I can’t find that option. Where is it?
If I just drag the animation asset into the scene it loops fine, but when I use the Animation Blueprint → New State Machine it just plays once.

Here is the fix:

Go to your AnimGraph view window, then open your State Machine, then select your state, then select the animation linked to the Output Animation Pose, in the right details tab, in “Settings” category there is a “Loop animation” checkbox that is unchecked by default. Check it and it should work fine.

12 Likes

Thank you, this worked for me still. The only issue I had was i could not see the settings you were talking about. For anyone else, if you don’t see this either, just select ‘window’ at the top in the unreal engine toolbar and select ‘details’, then select your animation linked to the Output animation pose node and then in the details pane on the right, search for loop and you will find it. Thank you @elegant_crow

So am I correct in my understanding that the “Start Position” field on sequence players has basically lost its functionality (at least for idle animations). Or is there some other way to keep idle animations looping without having the “Loop Animation” field checked?