Is UE4 good for small projects?

I want to know if UE4 is good for using on small projects like on this video (by “this” I don’t mean web games). And what minimum game requirements can we get using UE4? And can we build a game which will run on very weak computers like 128MB of Vram, 256MB ram or even less.

UE4 is good for games of all sizes, if not web games what are you aiming for, mobile or desktop?

The Edior does requires a high-end PC; recommended to have at least 8gb of memory (RAM) and a high-end graphics card. But aiming for end users with low-end market computers can be done quite easily through scaling down on graphics, asset size and quality and even using streaming. So it can be done; just the game will have to have low poly assets, not overpopulated and probably 512, maybe 1024 textures.

I’m not sure if this helped (your game target was kind of brief).

The problem is, as I package even very basic map which consists of a box for player to stand on and a point light to see at least my blue hands :D. Running game on Intel HD 3000 lags very bad. Also I am totally new to game development (I mean 2-3 days :P) so maybe I am not doing things right or are those hands too fancy for HD3000?!

Hi Nicat,

The Intel HD 3000 is an integrated graphics adapter and has performance below the recommended hardware. Please take a look at this page for more information on this page:

https://wiki.unrealengine/Recommended_Hardware

Thanks,

Intel graphic cards are not ideal for game development ^^ But you could try to change the “quality settings” → click onto the quick settings menu - scalability settings - change it to medium or low. Also take a look at this site to get an overview of many pc specs: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?20643-Official-Hardware-Performance-Survey

Ok I need to explain something… I am developing on a GTX 580, just tested the cooked game on intelHD 3000. I can play it smoothly on GTX 580 of course… But not on HD3000. I am not running editor which requires high end pc, but actual game created using editor which consists of box without texture, those EPIC blue hands which holds some EPIC tube which can shoot some EPIC yellow balls :). ← If I am wrong on this one please correct me.

Ok thanks. I had to read scalability documentation a little.

Though you are only playing using the integrated card, it may still have performance issues due to the amount of power the basic first person template requires compared to what the card provides.

You can see the card compared to popular gaming hardware here:

://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+3000

Though that chart lists some of the better available cards, it does show there is a vast difference in power. In order to get that to work smoothly, you will need to make changes to the resolution settings, textures, particles and shadow rendering. Otherwise, it is going to run with a very low framerate.

Yeah you are right. I changed some settings - anti-aliasing, shadow and some more stuff to low but not resolution - using command line in game and it performed lagless. So performance is better than I thought. Thanks.