Is this a good Laptop to begin 3D unreal game development?

Is this a good budget laptop to begin Unreal Engine 3D game development?

-Lenovo Legion Pro 5
-16" 165Hz IPS
-AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX 3.6 GHz
-NVIDIA GeForce RTX4070 8GB
-32GB DDR5 RAM 5200 MHz
-1TB SSD -Windows 11

And yes I do understand that a Desktop is a better choice.
But I need something mobile for added flexibility for my desktop setup.
Any Advice is much appreciated.

Hello, Welcome to the Forums.

That checks both of the boxes that I’d look for in a new laptop.

1. 32GB RAM
  2. Powerful GPU

I do wonder if there are extra M.2 or SSD bays available though. 1TB is plenty if you’re tidy, but I’d want 2TB.

Also make sure that the HDMI out can make use of the discreet GPU. (As opposed to being limited to integrated graphics if you want to use HDMI out)

1 Like

Thank you , and yes it does have a open M.2 slot.
The HDMI out specs. say that it uses discreet GPU

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Greetings, and welcome to the UE community! I hope you’re doing fantastic! :grin:

One thing to look out for is cooling. Even if the laptop has good specs, in my experience Unreal Engine uses a lot of power, more than my 3D apps, which equals a lot of heat.
And the fans should be reasonably quiet , even though it may not matter much to some folks.

Hi all,

Since you mention laptop fan noise:

While using the editor you can type the console command t.maxfps 15 . So instead of the viewport pumping out frames at max capacity (It will go as fast as your hardware can handle capped at 120fps by default), you’ll have a quieter and cooler experience.

OMG, this is awesome! With this simple setting of a lower, fixed frame rate, for a complete newbie like me suddenly life in UE5 is good again!
This super important tip should be at the beginning of every UE beginners lesson ( Unless I missed it, and I guess, it’s also pretty obvious now that I know about it).

Thanks a ton @Astrotronic !

1 Like