Download

Is there really any point in using UE4 if you are a solo one man Dev?

Been thinking really is there any point? so yeah UE4 is a AAA engine however wouldn’t that mean you need multiple people or even a whole studio of people who know what they are doing to actually produce AAA quality?

Wouldn’t it then just make more sense to use Unity in a situation like this? especially if its a low poly side scroller 3D or a Pixel Art 2D?

There’s several people who have made some very high quality projects on their own, it comes down to maintaining your motivation and having realistic goals. That’s the same no matter what engine you’re using.

Maybe for a 2D pixel art game one could argue that UE4 is a bit overkill, but other than that it probably doesn’t matter. It’s all about discipline and tenacity, which is largely unrelated to the choice of engine tech.

ok thanks guys sticking with Unity for now, so far its simple but I will give UE4 a shot to have an idea how its UI and workflow is later on

Unity and UE4 are capable of making any sort of 3d game you want, AAA titles included. Unity’s upped their rendering with Unity 5 to be rather on par with UE4. And UE4 is just fine for simple games as well, same as Unity.

In regards to “can you make a AAA game” probably not. Do you have the millions of dollars to hire all those people a AAA studio can? You can’t beat them in man hours as a single dev. You also can’t be a master of texturing, modeling, animating, UI, game / level design, sound design, music composition / production, programming, VFX, or marketing. There’s an absolute ton of skills that go into making a game. All you can hope for is your game to be good enough in enough areas that people enjoy it.

Start this as a hobby mate, every hobby can turn into a passion, and a passion can lead to a bright career.
In that case you better stay with ue4.

I work alone, and I’ve done way more than I’d ever imagined possible with UE4, I say its totally worth. Go ahead, download Unreal and take it for a spin for a few months, you wont regret it :wink:

For solo dev alternative is another game engine that has similar problems to UE4, no real difference here.
Another solution would be coding own game engine, but that really just adds more problems (and required skills) compared to using game engines.

I would not use UE4 for a 2D game or a mobile game targeting everyone with a smartphone. But that’s got nothing to do with being a single dev, it’s just not areas where UE4 has many advantages.

@Spetsnaz_, I have worked alone and on a teams. Working alone is great, and in my opinion better, in UE4 verses Unity. There are so many good workflows and designs in the Editor that Unity just doesn’t have or falls flat on.

Well an engine is an engine but as far as Unreal 4 goes Epic from the start has a proven track record of supporting the one man team on the same level as a AAA engine developer would support larger teams with out the addition of a support package fee. Every time we had an issue the solution has been to send off an e-mail that has always been answered in short order rather than our past experiences of having to constantly follow up or not get a response at all.

So as a one man development team your really not alone as Epic is invested and making investments with developer programs and resource sharing that are available to you in helping one to scale up towards the objective of releasing a game by providing options, resources, and their experiences of starting from zero at the wishful thinking stage.

Since stories of what has happened proves the point more than assumption our smallish team was in a position of having to switch engines due to obsolescence by design as well as lack of technical support by the engine developer and was in the process of evaluating different engines based on a longish list of requirements. We spend at least a good year going through the different options available off the shelf as to the average Joe and landed up doing a fair amount of proof of concept work with the UDK package and was impressed with the engines ability to mirror the game physics we were looking for.

This was at a time when it was rumored that Unreal 4 was on the horizon so like the other engine developers we sent off an e-mail making some general inquiries, as an engine swap is not a decision to make over beer and pizza, and unlike the other inquires a few days later I was on the phone with a gentleman from Epic’s licensing department, and “he” phoned me, and spent a good half hour talking about our project and our needs as to being a fit and worth waiting for UE4 to arrive that made the decision easier based on just Epic’s willingness to support their own engine with out the added support package most engine developers had demanded.

Soooo

The point for the solo one man developer is not the engine but the willingness of the engine builder to help you get to where you want to go even if your starting from scratch with a pie in the sky dream of becoming a rock star. :smiley: