Is there an object which combines the properties of a deferred decal and a text render object?

Hi,

I would like to write different stuff using different fonts on different objects using decals. E.g. license plates, grave markers, graffiti, player names (e.g. on back of a vest), name tags, etc. It seems to me the use cases are so many that there must be something like this but my Google-fu is apparently too weak to find it. :frowning:

Can you help?

Hi there!

You need to **Render to Texture **a Canvas Render Target 2D, while using the **Draw Text **Blueprint node.

This video explain the whole process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHf286UfoPU

Hope this helps!

Thank you! :slight_smile: I will try with this.

Status update: I am definitely doing something wrong. Also, pretty sure I will not get the kind of object I was actually hoping for. More updates to come.

SuckyTextDecalMethod.jpg
So, I got it to render a string to a deferred decal material, but there’s a heck of a difference between this and the neat object I had originally imagined. :frowning:

Is it possible to achieve a proper result by using a Text Render actor to render to a virtual texture, which I can then put into the texture slot of a Deferred Decal actor?

It really seems like there ought to just be some variant or setting of the Text Render actor that allows it to be used as a Deferred Decal actor.

I have tried lots of different combinations of textures and render settings and font material properties and with this method I have not even found a way to get rid of the background color. So, I can’t get just the text as a decal, which is what I wanted.

StillSuckyButOnlyTextNow.png
Okay, removing the background color was simple enough. It is of course done in the decal material itself, not the blueprint that draws to the texture. That was just me being silly. The texture you get out does not have an alpha channel. Also I think it is a good idea to set the color in the decal material and not in the render texture. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make this neat, so you can have a decal object that takes e.g. a string, a font and a color that you can just throw into your levels.