Is there a way to keep checking if the player is colliding with an object?

I just want to quickly say that I am still new to Blueprints, but I currently have something set up to check if two booleans match with each other once a player hits an object. Would it be possible to have it continuously fire while still on it instead of firing once per hit? Here’s an image showcasing the Blueprints I have set up for this, to better showcase what I’m saying.

Hey @Star-Wyse!

Right click in the open and use “Is Overlapping actor” on tick with your Collision volume as target and the player as the Other input.

Also, instead of tick, if you want it to only operate every so often, you can use “SetTimerByEvent” and have an event fire every time it completes the timer, such as for fire you’d have it deal damage every 1 second or so. This would be the best way performance-wise.

Let us know if you need more help, and tell us how it goes!

2 Likes

@Mind-Brain would be correct. Use overlap and if you want, to make it so only one type of instance can overlap it, you can add a new object channel in project settings and have the two types of objects able to overlap, but otherwise ignore, this allows you to essentially make a whitelist or blacklist of pieces that can be overlapped.

Up to you depending on what you need, but either way, Mind-Brain’s method really should be used. This is more of a bonus.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. It took me a while to properly wrap my head around how to set it up properly, but after some trial and error, I can confirm that this has helped my issue. Thank you so much!

1 Like