Is there a way to disable a skeletal mesh's bone from being considered for the bounding box at runtime?

Hey,

As far as I understand it, a skeletal mesh’s bounding box is determined by the shapes/bodies in its physics asset. I know there’s an option for “Consider for Bounds” in the physics asset editor, but is there a way to modify this at runtime for a specific bone? Or a way to completely destroy the bone/physics body in such a way that it gets removed from the bounds calculation?

The reason I want to do this is because the shadow quality for a skeletal mesh decreases as its bounding box increases in size. Imagine a skeletal mesh with physics simulation that breaks into multiple pieces, and one of the pieces falls down into a pit. The piece that fell causes the bounding box to stretch to the point where the shadow quality on the other pieces is significantly reduced, eventually causing the shadow to completely disappear. In a case like this, I’d like to remove the piece that fell, so that the other pieces can still have their full quality shadow.

Some things I’ve tried:

• The HideBoneByName node - This only visibly hides the bone, but it still contributes to bounds.
  • The TermBodiesBelow node - This moves the bone to the world’s origin (0, 0, 0) and stretches the bounds all the way over to it.

I’m using Unreal 4.26. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!