Is there a way to destroy a chaos destructible asset with only a BP event?

Hello,

I recently updated my project to UE5 and I’m having a lot of trouble with the new destructible physics system.

I’m trying to make it so a destructible asset only breaks when the correct type of projectile hits the trigger box in a bp class. Though it seems like anything will break it from things such as the player bumping into it. I set the object type to sleep which prevents it from breaking from the start but I still have the same issue.

Here are the things I’ve tried so far:

-Increasing the damage threshold, but then there is either no change at all or it just becomes indestructible

-Firing multiple impulses when the correct projectile hits the trigger box

-Applying radial damage

-setting the object type to dynamic when it, still breaks to the slightest touch

-setting the damage threshold to 1 when the trigger is overlapped, does nothing

-waking all rigid bodies

I remember with the apex destruction system, you could apply damage to the asset itself with a node, which doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

Hi,

In Chaos destructible assets do receive damage when collided with

If the asset is sleeping, it will turn dynamic as soon as another object comes in contact with it

To avoid that, you can first set an anchor field to “ground” your asset ( this will make it kinematic until it gets hit by something dynamic , the player being kinematic will not affect it )
Then when your weapon hits the hit box, you can trigger a field to apply strain on the geometry collection and break it

You can check our many tutorials on how to setup fields, and author geometry collections

Hope this helps

1 Like

Fields are really buggy though, whenever there is one or more inside a project UE 5.0.3 constantly crashes.

@MrGoatsy
Do you have more details on when this is crashing?
Maybe a callstack or a repro case that can be shared?

I currently don’t have it set up but you can easily reproduce it by following these steps:

1. Create a blueprint with a destructible mesh in it.
  2. Drag the blueprint inside of the viewport.
  3. Outside of the blueprint(because inside you can’t add fields to the initialization array for some reason) add couple of fields.
  4. Click the blueprint and select the mesh in the right panel of UE5 while in the viewport.
  5. Add the fields to the initialization array.
  6. Play

If it doesn’t crash then, try selecting the fields and moving them around while leaving the blueprint in the same location.

Let me know if it crashes for you, if not I will try and remake it.

Although there are some fields in UE 5.0.3 that are really buggy, whenever there are one or more from a project within the project, UE 5.0.3 constantly crashes.