Is there a way to change the resizing of an object to be in just one direction when using the gizmo WITHOUT changing pivot?

As the title says, I’m trying to be able to resize things unilaterally. Think like how ROBLOX Studio does resizing for those familiar with it. I’m really stumped, as the only guides I’m finding involve changing the pivot which is a no-go for me as that would also change things like rotations. Moreover, is there a way to resize things in 1 direction during runtime w/ code (preferably blueprint haha) that also doesn’t involve changing pivot/origin? Really stuck here.

1 Like

Let me better understand what you’re describing, since I’m not familiar with Roblox Studio. Say you have a cube in the world. You want it to be a long rectangle. Changing the scale would make it stretch out in 2 directions. You want one side of the cube to stay stationary and the other side of the cube to move outward?

If its a character with a centered pivot, do you want to have only half the character scale out and half to stay frozen? Or do you mean you want all scale transformations to have a temporary fake pivot point on the edge? The character or cube would scale up uniformly, but towards a single direction and therefore their pivot point would move with them while staying in the same relative spot. I think that’s what you want.

Scale always happens from the pivot point. That’s just the way it works in UE. You can temporarily move the pivot point in editor for these kinds of things. You can also use the Modeling Mode to do very specific operations and edit pivots and bake transforms. You can even do a lattice deformation if you want.

At runtime you can do many mesh modifications with Geometry Script, but that tends to be a little advanced. If you want to scale something in one direction at runtime you’ll probably have to be clever with some math to move and scale the actor at the same time to give the illusion that it’s scaling from one position.

Or do you mean you want all scale transformations to have a temporary fake pivot point on the edge?

Yeah, pretty much this.

If you want to scale something in one direction at runtime you’ll probably have to be clever with some math to move and scale the actor at the same time to give the illusion that it’s scaling from one position.

Assuming I can’t change the pivot during runtime for a split second, I guess I could try this. Not ideal, but still thanks!

There’s one other way to do it that didn’t cross my mind. Through Blueprints you can add a new component or even a new actor and place it at the corner of the bounds of the existing mesh. You then can attach the mesh component / mesh actor to that new reference point. And scaling the reference point actor will scale the whole mesh and anything else attached to it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.