is there a engine bug with structures?

hi, I’m currently on ue5 and making a game. during this time I have encountered a problem.

When I try to add a new variable to a struct that is in a bigger collection of structs I get this Exception and the whole editor/engine crashes but it doos not happen on all of them and seam random.

I have also tried this with 100% complied code and i also made sure that it worked in game but eventhough there was no errors in the code i still got that error when trying to add a new variable. Some times it also happens when i try to remove a variable.

so back to my question is there a bug currently on structs or is it only my code?

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

There have been numerous bugs regarding structs since… their inception, really. If you reference structs and then keep updating / changing them - like you know, the normal workflow - chances are it will all break down. :expressionless:

Not 100% sure how things are looking in UE5, but in UE 4.25-4.27 structs became useable with only minor issues present. But that’s my use case scenario. Was hoping that somewhat stable behaviour would translate well into UE5. Guess that has yet to happen.

When I try to add a new variable to a struct that is in a bigger collection of structs I get this Exception

Yeah, that sounds too familiar.

I’ve made this mistake many times.When you change your structure,you need to recompile all referenced assets.You can right click on your structure and view the reference view.Then recompile all referenced assets.

I’ll shamelessly requote myself from 2018, found it once in an ancient thread on the Answer Hub, followed it and it worked, never looked back. Until 4.25 where things started to work normally and without jumping through the crazy hoop:

There is one workaround that helped me deal with the most annoying issues they cause - crashing and unsolvable compilation errors. It’s more of a preventive measure rather than a fix:

Once I have a struct deployed and need to make changes to it, I make the changes and save the struct. Close the editor at this point, DO NOT save or compile any other blueprints. Let them go unsaved, open the editor again and the struct will work absolutely fine. :expressionless:

As silly as this sounds I’ve been using this method for a couple of months now and never looked back. Again, it’s a workaround, not a solution, though. Here’s hoping for major fixes soon.

This may seem like the very opposite of what @zblogin is saying but I’d definitely try both solutions. I’m under the impression it leads to the same thing - you start the editor, all BPs get compiled.

structs are really broken in UE Bluprint. In my opinion, the Reason is the reflecting of struct Nodes, that happens in either a wrong order or wrong Weighting of the Struct Fields…

I’ve got less Problem with using Cpp structs in BP, than using BP Structs alone…

Interestingly enough I remember ranting about this. I thought I was being clever by doing it in C++ but that opened so many cans of worms I couldn’t handle. :expressionless:

Then I used components to store batches of vars and pass those comps around, then I used Objects for the same purpose. And structs only lived in a Save Game object. When it was time to work on the save games, I knew the day was already ruined - because we gonna crash & burn often.