Is there a documentation/tutorial for the 4.16 Built-in-cloth system?

Tried tool. Some things seemed to me not convenient. When I work with a brush, do not very well see what I’m doing:

1. Typically, mesh clothing has a lot of polygons and vertices, so the squares are also very many and they visually merge with each other. The color of the mesh changes as soon as I click on the brush and begin to paint. Squares - very uncomfortable. Is it possible to make the display of values how is done in 3DS Max - through color or with lines of different lengths? The lines (maximum distance, etc.) I can see in the viewport, but not while working with the brush.
  2. It is awkward that the mesh is translucent. I usually make clothes a separate mesh, so in the editor I see only part. When it is translucent, I can see the back side, the back squares merge with the front squares. It’s a sort of mixture that is hard to understand what I’m doing now with a brush. Especially uncomfortable if I work with a skirt or dress.

Either i am doing something wrong or there is some problem. When i press enable paint tools, the section changes spatial rotation from upright to laying on the ground. When i try to paint it with brush - nothing changes. No matter what strength i set it continues being white. After numerous tries and reading thread i blindly tried “gradient” method a few times (i don’t really understand how it works, previously only painted with brush in maya) and it started working very crudely in physical body window while simulating, but it still doesn’t work in game.

Same as Antvg - mesh drops to the floor and no matter what I do it won’t start simulating – experimental definitely :slight_smile: I hope to see work soon, the PhysX cloth modifier in max is giving me a headache and I can’t seem find any up to date tutorials!

I have the same issue and also the target mesh appears pink.

Are there some specific conditions the skeletal mesh must fulfill?

it’s pink because “max distanses” = 0. when you begin to brush, the color will change

despite a lot of inconvenience, tool in UE4 is much better and clearer than the apex import from 3DS Max. From Max I always received something unpredictable.

I’m still wondering how to use the masks. no one asked a question about it in topic. Max apex-plugin has no masks. why are they here in UE4?

Hi everyone! Thanks for giving the tools a try - I’m sorry about some of the issues you are hitting. Most of them are known or fixed in our dev branch right now but I’ll provide some info here so everyone knows what to expect soon :slight_smile:

I’ve got fixed now, the physics asset is simply referenced and the bodies are extracted when the clothing simulation is created in game instead of when the asset is created in editor.

Right now only spheres and capsules will be extracted. I will hopefully get the time soon to add limited cube support. The clothing solver we are using (NvCloth) can only support 32 convex planes per simulation which is only going to net you 5 cubes. I’d advise not using convex and cube geometry for clothing and stick with spheres and capsules.

The clothing simulation mesh should ideally be a very coarse approximation of the actual renderable geometry as clothing simulations are expensive (especially if collision is used). If the squares at each vertex are merging for you I’d say that simulation mesh is likely too complex for the application (although obviously there’s always exceptions e.g. only one char has complex clothing).

Either way I have removed the rendering of every vertex and instead use an overlaid wireframe now, the points only draw inside the brush interactor so complex meshes should be easier to edit in future.

was a bug that I’ve resolved in our dev branches, the root bone transform was being incorrectly applied in the editor for the editable proxy. Meshes imported with rotations displayed incorrectly but should still work when simulating.

Masks were partially implemented as 4.16 went out. It’s essentially a level of indirection ontop of the parameters so we can have multiple versions while editing and switch between those in the clothing tool. In 4.16 they have no effect and can be safely ignored. In future releases you will use masks to target and affect parameters rather than directly painting the parameter. In the long term will allow us to add more advanced features like blending and maybe switching out masks on the fly (although that currently isn’t planned, just a possibility for the future).

Hey Exelcior,
I’m using the new cloth system for curtains but ran into a nasty polygon smoothing issue.
see the shot of the imported curtains while not being simulated. they look all smooth and fine.

and see the simulated ones. they have all kinds of smoothing problems. Is problem known, or am I doing it wrong?

See also the wireframe of the cloth. My best guess would be like trying out more triangulated geometry, like the garment modifier in 3dsmax produces. I will try out now. But perhaps you also know a better approach to address problem?
I also tried all kinds of stiffness and gravity settings to have the cloth not be “elongated” too much; which perhaps causes problem. but whatever numbers you try, there will always be a small stretch on big chunk of cloth

Yes, I also changed the settings and could not understand why the clothes are so badly stretched. In the settings of cloth-properties something has changed dramatically with the change of the engine version. I made a simple project with a curtain. APEX and fabric properties were configured in MAX.

Here is the curtain in 4.14

and the same curtain in 4.16 (just opened the project as a copy in 4.16)

in 4.14 the curtain is stretched and deforms much less than a curtain with the same properties in 4.16.
Settings of cloth-properties UE4.16-version has a lot more. But I couldn’t find detailed documentation about what each of them means.

ApexClothTestProject.zip UE_4.14.3 (5.8Mb) link

thx for pointing out VikaBee!
and yes the uv distortion is visible.

while I still hope for an explanation or a solution concerning the smoothing errors, i found a workaround to hide the artifacts by using a texture with more contrasts in it

Hi all,

i set cloth on tshirt, i have physics asset on skeleton but tshirt bad collide on bones, please help me here is screenshot

Clothing Tool Overview (in case you haven’t seen it yet):

:slight_smile:

collision setup problem

Hey everyone!
Right now I’m having many problems with setting proper collision with built-in solution. First image shows simulation when I start playing with bigger play rate than second image (0.5 vs 0.1). In second I change play rate scale to 0,5 during simulation and everything works fine. I don’t know why happens, but problem makes me think about leaving cloth setup for now. Setting it in maya is even worse (capsule orientation problem, different output in engine than in maya, etc). Problems shown on images happen on my character with jacket and it’s really hard to make it work properly. If anyone has some ideas or experience with clothes, I could use that help. I tried different clothing properties but none of seem to work well in case.

I had no problems with collision in the new and old solvers, there is only one: cloth normally interacted with the capsules of the legs, but completely ignored the hand (fingers) contact.
On a slow or passive animations like curtains in the wind, apex looks more or less decently. but if I run real animation of clothing on the character like for example walk or run, I get out those severe artifacts… that personally, I put aside attempts to use apex for such things.

I was particularly upset that the cloth greatly deformed on the boundary, where the maximum distance = 0. in the animation (simulation) border is very noticeable. I tried to do a brush very smooth transition from zero to positive values (0 to 0.01cm to 0.05 to 0.1), but it doesn’t work. The apex-solver believes that the cloth should be stretched like a rubber band. There’s no smooth transition between the piece of clothing that follows the skeleton and one that is calculated by the cloth-solver. And the same problem in the old solver. I checked: did everything in max, imported the old-fashioned way (in UE 4.14), the result was exactly the same visually bad.

I remember having such problems in like ~UE4.6, but I don’t have them anymore.

you stopped using apex or found a solution to problem? :slight_smile:
I can’t figure out how to get rid of border with a strong deformation and how to achieve a smooth transition.
if you have advice - please share. many reading topic would be grateful.
because even in the cloth-example file, I see problem:

another good find vikabee.
it underlines the problem.
also i’d throw in, that also playing with all the values inside the cloth parameters won’t help too much.
i spend a few hours trying to find good values. however only raising the solver frequency to about 1000 gave the cloth a bit more integrity. but doesn’t feels right and might be a bigger performance hit? idk

Hi,

I have a issue like VikaBee’s one : everything works fine, but I can’t get the collisions of the right calf and foot working. The right capsules have the same settings than the left ones, but I can’t figure out how to make the collision working properly :s

Do we have a possibility to use Latch to Nearest functionality with new in build-in cloth solution?

Hi there! Does anyone know whether there is a way to apply the same clothing asset across two different sections of a mesh? (Or some other way of having multiple sections act as one piece of cloth?)

I have a piece of clothing that contains more than one material. As I understand it, the clothing tool requires you to select one section of the mesh, create a clothing asset, apply the clothing asset to that section and then cloth-paint it. That obviously gives weird results if the item of clothing is made up of multiple sections/materials painted individually since they move away from each other etc.