Is there a development guide for Xcode?

I’ve found Compiling Game Projects in Unreal Engine Using C++ | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation, but that seems pretty sparse. Is there a more comprehensive guide to getting an edit/run/debug workflow going with Xcode and Unreal Engine 4?

I had UE4 working reasonably well for about a week before I hit a wall; now, when compiling my project, ** the build seems to be hanging while running the following command**. This is after running the Build action for the target with the same name as my game. (Not the UE4 target)

Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4Editor Mac Development -buildscw

See the full console log at the end of this post.

I don’t think this is an issue of a slow machine - I’ve had the command running for about 30 minutes on my 2017 iMac Pro (3Ghz 10 core). I should also note this isn’t a per-project problem. Just made a new C++ project from scratch and see the same issue.

I’ve tried reinstalling both Xcode (11.1) and Unreal Engine 4.24.3. To the best of my understanding, UE4.24.3 supports Xcode 11.1. Basing that on the release notes here: What's New | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

At this point I’d like to just get back to compiling my project, but, once that’s done, I have a few other workflow questions.

If I have a budget to get a Windows PC built, is it worth trying to wrestle with Xcode + UE4? Xcode seems like a second-class citizen (at least in terms of documentation and community involvement) and I’d rather spend my time building a game than wrestling with the infrastructure. Or, am I just hitting early stumbling blocks in getting setup with Xcode + UE4, and I should power through?

Is it possible to set a breakpoint in Xcode, run my game, and hit those breakpoints with the ability to inspect the stack frame?

Should I be using Xcode’s Legacy Build System, New Build System, or does it not matter?

Console Output from original question:

Found mono via known Mono.framework path
Running system mono/msbuild, version: Mono JIT compiler version 5.12.0.301 (2018-02/4fe3280bba1 Fri Jul 20 08:25:42 EDT 2018)
Building TestDeleteMeEditor...
2020-04-28 16:14:43.413 defaults[29657:661700] 
The domain/default pair of (com.apple.dt.Xcode, IDEBuildOperationMaxNumberOfConcurrentCompileTasks) does not exist
Building ShaderCompileWorker...
Creating makefile for ShaderCompileWorker (no existing makefile)
ERROR: Couldn't find target rules file for target 'ShaderCompileWorker' in rules assembly 'UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
       Location: /Users/Shared/Epic Games/UE_4.24/Engine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/UE4Rules.dll
       Target rules found:
Running command : Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe TestDeleteMeEditor Mac Development /Users/nickdemarco/Documents/Unreal Projects/TestDeleteMe/TestDeleteMe.uproject -buildscw

Did you make any progress with this? I’m seeing the same issue

same problem
xcode 12
ue4 4.25.4