Is the distribution of my product exclusive for Epic? Or can I sell in other ways?

In short, the question is: If I come to agreement with a user, can I directly sell (of provide them for free) my product, by just sending it to them and receiving the payment directly?

(I understand it would be better to re-read the agreement, but for now I will really appreciate if anyone who knows could advise)

Hey there @Eugene1sv1! To preface, I am not a lawyer and I do not represent Epic Games legally. This is just my interpretation of the EULA. For business decisions please consult your lawyer. According to the marketplace EULA your content license to Epic and customers is “non-exclusive” meaning you are fine being able to sell your assets elsewhere. However you cannot use the marketplace to funnel people to other locations for sales intentionally, and could possibly lead to your marketplace account being in jeopardy, so I would advise caution when writing the marketplace page if you do end up granting licenses outside of the ecosystem I would relegate that information to a personal site/other market just to be safe.

1.    Grant of License to Your Content

a.    You hereby grant to Epic a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual (except as provided in Section 6), non-transferable (except as provided in Section 10.d), non-sublicensable, and royalty-free license to copy, perform, display, distribute, transmit, modify and use the Content:

i.    to create, display and use the Content for administrative and demonstration purposes in connection with the operation, promotion, and marketing of the Marketplace itself and in connection with the promotion, marketing, sales, and distribution of the Content via the Marketplace; and

ii.    to distribute and grant Digital Rights in the Content to Customers via the Marketplace.

For clarity, Epic shall be under no obligation to distribute the Content via the Marketplace or, once distribution has begun, to continue to distribute the Content via the Marketplace at any point during the term of this Agreement.

b.    You agree that Epic may grant to Customers a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to download, use, copy, post, modify, promote, license, sell, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, distribute, or transmit the Content for personal, promotional, and/or commercial purposes (“Digital Rights”).  Both Parties expressly acknowledge that distribution of the Content to Customers via the Marketplace is not a sale of the Content but the grant of Digital Rights to Customers.  Such Digital Rights shall be granted pursuant to Epic’s then-current end user license agreement for the Marketplace (“EULA”).

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/marketplace-distribution-agreement

1 Like