Is Text binding function[UMG] a tick function?

Legend says tick functions can havoc the gameplay. Is any binding functions used in UMG widgets a tick function?
If yes is there any alternatives or is it just fine to use bindings?

Every binding executes every frame (if the widget is visible). Place a Print String there to it spam like there’s no tomorrow.

Butt you can set text with an event instead, highly recommended:

332214-screenshot-1.jpg

If you need a progress bar with percentage text (need to see text updates often), binding is fine. If you give an inventory item a name, updating it once is enough, I wouldn’t bind a function for that.

Alternatively, you can bind a text box to a plain text variable and update that variable instead. You can even bind a text box to another blueprint’s variable. As in, the player has a coin counter integer, the widget can pull that value directly from the player via a hard reference. It will do so every frame, though.

My answers get moderated every now and then for some unfathomable reasons…

Ah, I see it. I wrote but with 2 tt. That’s fair enough I guess.

Wait, does that mean that even a simple binding to a variable will check every frame?

Yes, property binding is polled every frame providing the widget is showing and is enabled. It’s a quick fire & forget solution. If you do need updates every frame, it’s pretty neat; especially that you can:

Note that you can also property bind to another actor’s function return. I use it in debuggers all the time, saves a lot of time.

1 Like