Is my open world in 5.3 doomed? Poor performance even after mimicing CItySample/Matrix

Hi,
I’m new to development in UE. Began creating 3D assets 2 years ago (for another game) and decided it was time to make my own.

My assets are mostly huge monolithic buildings (not the procedural kind which are composed of hierarchical sub-elements), and scattered props. Within the world, the buildings don’t repeat much, but the props do. My assets make heavy use of 2K and 4K atlas-style textures, where 20 or 30 assets might use one texture/material. Buildings usually are 10K-50K tris.

World is about 4x4km2, with my city only now occupying 1km2 or so.

I have an RTX-4080, i9-13900K, SSD, 48MB RAM.

I am now getting around 60FPS. And I want to make my city bigger, and have it run on less robust hardware.

So I studied CitySample/Matrix. I copied the render settings, lumen, nanite, and most importantly World Partition. Nothing has really moved the needle on my FPS. I’m still not 100% clear on things like HLOD, HISMs etc and how they would apply in my case. With the exception of props I dont have alot of repetition in my city. I noticed the CitySample used some Houdini Cloud thing, is that critical to success here?
Am I doomed?
Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks.

there’s a lot more to performance than the rendering settings.

at least check the ticks, the collisions, the bounds, culling volumes, casting shadows, word partition actually un/loading actors, virtual shadow maps cache invalidation and page pool, material complexity, significance plugin.
and check if you’re cpu or gpu bound.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I’ll give those things a try. I also just tried UE5.4 but it was actually slower.

1 Like

All good, all the best.

another source of issues specially in big spaces with lumen is
virtual shadow map cache invalidation #1 , vsm page pool #2, and reflection capture resolutions.
material complexity is a basic one i forgot to mention.
also check the significance plugin by tom looman. i’ve made my own but haven’t published it yet.

#1 vsm invalidation is actually very impactful.
there’s a nice doc about it somewhere, i think is this one

#2 the page pool is also important. increasing it is not really a solution. because if you run out of vram you run the (almost certain risk) of tanking your performance. and increasing the pool will reduce the vram available for other things (afaik) and not all the users have the biggest gpu on market.

you can play around with the world quality
How do I lower the graphics settings for the editor? - #8 by Blackforcedragon

this is kind of the 1st stop for isolating your performance loss. vsm and page pool issues are sensitive to light and shadow qualities.