Is level design in Unreal Engine generally easier than Unity?

(By easier than I mean more productive)
Hi, everyone

I’ve been watching a lot of speed design timelapse on youtube lately. Come from a Unity background I must say that the quality of work done by Unreal Engine is far more superior than the Unity. I never get my hand dirty with unreal but I might consider making a transfer from Unity to Unreal if the editor is more productive than the Unity. I tend to give up my prototype because of level design.

I wonder if it worth the choice that I should make a transfer to Unreal. I’ve try it but not as much as Unity so the opinion is also scarce. It would be great to have a feedback from people has been use both Unity and UE.

The real question is:
Is it worth it to YOU to change. “What is better” is subjective. I have seen a lot of Unity users come and love it here. I have seen some come and hate it here. I would say give it a whirl and see how it works out.

I don’t got that much experience with Unity, but I would say they are about equal.

About 10000% better,
Probably one of the major differences between engines.

Groups, collections, real folders in herarchy and you can hide it, paint foliage or mesh and any other actors, object filters selection including transparent actors, pilot mode, geometry, snaping options, solid grid system, lot of shortcut for place objects, saved on disk master level, out of the box camera, effects and gameplay volumenes, viewport bookmarks, lot of view modes to check light and optimization, the list is boundless.

If you wanna enjoy level desing use unreal.

There are a lot of reasons to choose unreal over unity, however ease of use isn’t one of them. For a beginner I think unity is a better choice – more tutorials, more free assets, more affordable plugins, more popular among indie developers (with whom you have a higher chance of getting your first job in the industry)

I agree that the learning curve is high in UE4, but once that’s passed, doing anything Unreal is 10x better than Unity!!

Every day in Unity is a day you lose learning unreal.

This is about level design, so you can leave the scripting language talk at the door.

UE4’s level design tools are largely better than Unity’s, particularly from an organisation standpoint, and also from flexibility. Unreal may lack a modern brush based whiteboxing setup, but outside of that it’s better than Unity in almost every way.

LOL - mark this day down, i have to agree with ambershee … this one time. Just this one time tho … dont get all crazy in here!
@anonymous_user_54570f23:
Dont let the “scenes” fool you and bait you. Just because something can be created on a 1x1 square with baked everything and non-functional (game functional) settings, doesnt mean you can make a game look like that, or, perform as you want it to. I believe, in the long run, LEVEL DESIGN in UE4 is far better then in Unity. Like i stated before, thats on you tho. Maybe what i am doing is not necessarily fitting for your situation. Give it a shot. Do some testing, ask questions (like you are) and see what is fitting for YOU and YOUR project.

If the basis is that Unreal has a better quality then no. Because quality has nothing to do with level design. Level design is about flow, pacing, key areas and such. In that area, either engine is fine. You could just use a 3D modeling software to model your level anyway. As mentioned in other threads, the question is “What are the student suppose to learn?” Because learning level design is not the same as learning the engines. You could practically learn level design by making board games.