Download

Is it theoretically possible to create a 1:1 of the Solar System, in a single worldspace, in UE5?

I know with Unreal 4 it’s impossible as the precision is 32-bit floats, meaning the map size only gets to around 20x20km before you start seeing serious errors. However, I hear it is confirmed that UE5 is going to be using 64-bit doubles, meaning that you can have millions of km of playable space before encountering issues.

If I were to use Unreal 5, would I be able to use this massively increased play space, and couple it with rebasing in a 3D grid with square ‘chunks’ of a few million km around (so when you enter a chunk, the game rebases the origin to the centre of said chunk), to create a 1:1 scale model of the Solar System without needing to cut it up into separate worldspaces?

This is purely theoretical, obviously, but I want to know if I’m even on the right track or if this is just completely impossible within UE5 and I should stop hypothesizing it. Thanks.

I mean, you could, but why? Why would you do that? Why would you do any of that? You could just… NOT do that.

But… with my limited knowledge of the engine, I dont think it’d be impossible. You’d just have to figure out how to move fast enough to not make the player hate life without killing their pc

It would be a lot of fun to have a game like that one from Penn and Teller where you drive a bus to Las Vegas for hours with nothing much to do but in space with a trip from Earth to Neptune.

Lmao.