Is it possible to use Code::Blocks to code and VS only to debug?

Hello guys! How are you this nice evening?
I’m new to Unreal 4 and I’m struggling to learn how to adapt my workflow to VS. I come from a Java background (if you have a comment about this keep it to yourself) but I have coded a lot of C/C++ in my life. The problem I’m having is mostly with the C++ workflow. The header/class file separation is making everything slow. I really don’t mind the fact that they are separeted but it consumes a LOT of time to keep writing (manually syncing) the function headers twice. In code::blocks I’m able to go to the .cpp file and right-click insert>All class methods without implementation.
I have searched a LOT and have found very little on this matter. Mostly people just buy VAx, suggest it, but not only I don’t have the dosh for it, I wouldn’t pay for something that I have free on other IDEs. I read that some guy was using code::blocks for code and build, and VS only to debug. Is this possible? If it is, how can I do this?
I have also learned through research about the VS2013 Community (pro fully-featured) which I’d like to try. The bad deal with it is that it comes with thousands of other tools that I don’t need (SQL server, Windows Phone) and I didn’t manage to find if it has this feature (empty implementation generation) that I really need.
I know that this sounds a bit ridiculous but I’m used to code fast, don’t spend much time on repetitive tasks but focus on implementation of features. This little pauses every time I start a stub are really anoying and make me lose track of what I’m thinking.
Anyway, if you read up until here I thank you =) Unreal 4 is great and I really want to enjoy its features.

I use Visual Assist X personally (which does have that handy feature, as you point out and was well worth the $ IMO). You could enable JIT Debugging and have VS take over when you run into a crash, but you’re going to miss out on breakpoints/etc unless you are constantly attaching VS to your game processes whenever you start it (which is do-able). You’ll still need to install VS2013 for any of this to work. The SQL server and such don’t actually do anything besides take up a very small amount of HDD space (and I believe you can customize your install to skip them entirely if I remember right).

I think you’re quickly going to find that operating across two IDEs is going to cost you more time than you potentially are saving, but it should be do-able.

As I said before, I don’t even agree about paying for a feature that is freely avaliable everywhere… What is so special about VS that it can’t have this feature like the other C++ IDEs? I know, VAx has awesome features but most of them are basic features in most IDEs. The great advantage about other languages, for me, is not about what you can do with the syntax but how you do it. I work with Java/Scala and other modern languages because the code is more feature driven than imperative. I like C++ though but it misses organization features and the workflow seems quite slow on VS >.<

But thanks for the answer!

You’re preaching to the choir. :slight_smile: Best of luck!