Is it possible to run a peer to peer PC in an Unreal 4 game without the need for 3rd party servers

Music to my ears thank you :slight_smile:
In this day and age who wants to spend time game developing :slight_smile:

I was thinking full circle last night and arrived back at Steam.
Agreed.
Do you know if you need some of certificate or Dev ID or something to run your game on Steam using them as a discovery server or is it 100% free?
I cant imagine that they would allow that without screening you first and possibly make you pay something.
Thank you :slight_smile:

That looks promising thank you !!

So it now becomes this whole epic journey to sign up with Steamworks to get some kind of dev ID and then you cant run your game over Steam unless you get an app ID that takes 6 months to get approved ā€¦
Blah blah blah.

?

You can use the developer ID during development, but yes it might take some time to get your own App ID.

Thanks yeah I already figured that out :slight_smile:
Can you get your app ID while you grind Warframe?
That is what they should put in those containers.
Yay I the mission just dropped 500 Steam App IDies lol :slight_smile:

The Steam developer ID is region locked. When you get your own App ID I believe the choice is yours.

Yeah Steam is everything bad. Remind me :slight_smile:
Thanks.

well I am not going to wait 6 months for an app ID that is for sure.
So there better be a better way.
There must be something else out there I guess I will keep searching.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Maybe this can work: Steam Support :: Steam Client Beta

I guess getting around all the internet gate keepers is the elephant in the room for mp games.

What about Discord?
I see they allow you to run your games on their servers.

So is that for games already on Steam? It looks like it. I dont think you can run your own game on there right?

Is Discordā€™s Rich Presence SDK an option?
I cant figure out if this is just a shiny HUD with your profile added to your game or if you are in fact running your game on their servers.

Oh and yeah I can just whip out a $100 out of my ashtray for the Steamworks dev ID not a problem at all.

That is so insignificant no tutorial even mentions that.

I am definitely looking at alternatives to Steam.

Someone mentioned in a thread that they used Lacewing to connect IP to IP:
https://dark-wire.com/relay/

How about forming a work group in Windows 10?

Trick Unreal 4 into thinking its a LAN network?
How about that idea?
Tehn everyone just needs to set it up to allow everything to work like passwords, etc.
Or even remote share computer / remote control computer with Windows 10 should work but then you have to trust the people you are playing with obviously.
I see you can even save the remote login settings an then just click on that next time you want to remotely log into your computer.
So I am thinking just create a user account for gaming a mp with your friends.
With limit abilities.
Then just have all your friends you are going to game with remotely log into your computer.
But I dont know if more than one can at a time.
Because technically its you logging into your own computer.
Maybe the work group is a better idea.

Then there is this: Multiple RDP (Remote Desktop) sessions in Windows 10

It looks like you can share files and even stream media between computers in a workgroup but I dont know if you can run a mp game on a network like that. :slight_smile:
It would be very easy if it is possible.

Wouldnā€™t this be a good solution?
Download and install a dedicated server yourself to host your friends playing with you.
So I would set my game up so you have a choice to download the dedicated server or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODkotLs4xEQ