Is it possible to rebind Ctrl+Alt+F11 to something else?

Hello,

This seems like a fairly simple question but I did some searching and couldn’t find anyone else asking this. Unfortunately Ctrl+Alt+F11 is a keyboard shortcut I use in Visual Studio and it’d be nice to rebind the live coding recompile to something else but searching through keyboard shortcut listings I couldn’t really find anything.

I’m assuming I’m either just missing something very obvious or it is just a weird global shortcut that can’t be changed in which case I’ll just disable live coding entirely.

Is there an option to rebind live coding recompile and if so where does it live?

This may perhaps be obvious, however for anyone else joining this conversation: looking at the keybindings in Unreal Engine 5, nothing is bound to Ctrl + Alt + F11. In fact no key could be found in the engine bound to F11 except for:
bild

1 Like

Yes in digging through the source code for the LC server there appears to be a hardcoded value of Ctrl+Alt+F11

Digging more into the code there is a mechanism within the live coding server to change this shortcut but it doesn’t appear exposed to the editor at all. Seems like this might be a missing feature at the moment.

Great work finding it!

I assume you could report it as a bug, or ask for the feature of it to be added to the existing key bindings?

Was this ever fixed? :slight_smile:

Is there a way to change the shortcut in VS2022?

It is no problem if it can’t be changed in the Unreal Editor, but I need it quite often in VS2022, so it would be very helpful if I could change it to something simpler (e.g. F6) there.

Workaround is to use third party program to remap whatever input to desired ctrl+alt+f11.
If you have laptop then gestures can be used with GestureSign app.
Here is my setup:

The same way can be configured alt+p to run game in editor, but you need to choose another context for it in GestureSign app and gesture can be the same.
Also in IDE you can enable saving all files with ctrl+alt+f11 and then next can be possible:
Change code in IDE then commit gesture, wait for livecodding window do stuff and transfer you to unreal editor and then repeat same gesture to run game in editor.

If you don’t have touchpad, then you can use Autohotkey to remap ctrl+alt+f11 to whatever key combination you want.

Instead of creating a whole keybinding through a third party software you are able to press this button. It does the same job, without having to awkwardly press Ctrl + Alt + F11.

Thanks for your answers!

Over time I got used to the Button at the bottom of the Unreal Editor like AidanHMcG suggested. But that still requires me to switch back from Visual Studio to Unreal every time, so R0ya1Eag1e’s idea is probably the best solution…

1 Like