Is it possible to make a 'good' fps game without paying money in marketplace?

Hello,
i am new unreal engine so please dont hate if its the wrong category for this answer and Iam not good at english too.

I wanted to make a FPS Game and I thougt unreal engine is cause of the known games like fortnite, Pubg a good choice.
So I watched tutorial series on YouTube and for me, it seems that the requirement is to buy some packs for animations, character etc. Because it felt so unprofessional to position the elements with the cursor.

The best way to make a game is with entirely custom content. When you use marketplace content it’s going to be a bit more different than the style that you really want for your game. What that does is make your game have graphics that aren’t consistent. Besides that, people can recognize when store assets are used in a game and that gives a negative feeling like you didn’t do much work to create the game. For example, PUBG uses marketplace and free starter content and that along with many of the games bugs gives the impression that they didn’t do a good job making the game.

At first i want to learn how to do the fp character (game) and the basic. I actually didnt have a no game idea, I want to make just a normal shooter like the look from pubg, ironsight. But I think with the tutorial from Youtube I wont create a good and precise aim down sight and weapon placement, the design is overall not that precise.

Tutorial Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DywB…qSq-aEo6ZXLDLg

I know, but where can I get the knowledge and learn these things?

Where can I find some fps templates?

Hi, I’m not sure where you can find some templates but I know for sure is that the templates that come with Unreal Engine are good enough to get you started if you can’t buy content from the marketplace, I couldn’t pay for marketplace items due to my location but I did purchase 1 pack, Explosion Builder because it looked better than anything I could make myself, I had to buy it directly from the creator, everything else for my game I either created myself or used the free assets from epic, all you have to do is find good enough tutorials and software then learn what you need to learn, there is a lot free ones out there. And if you don’t have a team and don’t plan on having 1 I also recommend learn how to model and animate, within 2 years I was able to learn, create, and launch my own game on steam, but I already knew how to model and animate so that was a big advantage for me in terms of content creation.

In the end I can say you don’t need marketplace to make a good game, market place makes it a bit easier and faster. What you really need is to learn the right skills and knowledge, without the right skills and knowledge marketplace items will be useless to you. tutorials are your best friend, just dig in and don’t give up.

My advice would be to avoid using marketplace content until you have a good grasp on the fundamentals of developing in UE4. There are a number of good reasons for this:

1. They may have additional features or dependencies which you don’t want or need in your project, leading to incompatibilities which create more work for you to surgically remove them
  2. You won’t have the knowledge to be able to customise the project as described in point 1, making you dependent on others for support and leading to frustration
  3. You won’t learn anything, as in a best case scenario the assets will effectively be black boxes that “just work” somehow

My advice would be to start your project at the beginning and break it down into manageable chunks. Don’t Google “how to make an FPS game in UE4” because the subject is too broad, and you’ll run into some of the same problems I listed above if you load up a YouTube video and start blinding following it step-by-step to create someone else’s FPS shooter template.

Instead, look for tutorials on each aspect of gameplay. How does player input and movement work? How does the camera work? How do game types work? Learn about these separately from each other, because once you understand the basic building blocks of a playable game in UE4, you’ll then be able to create your game the way you want it to work. As you get more experienced, you’ll become more specific in your searches and you’ll be able to describe more precisely what you need, making it much more likely you’ll find the help you need online.

Good luck!

Could you recommend me some sources to learn the basics?
And should I learn it with visual scripting or c++ at the beginning?

I made a fairly complex first person shooter called Revulsion and its on steam early access. There is no better tech in existence right now to build a solid fps as easily.

Start with the FPS template project that comes out of the box. It’s pretty basic and doesn’t have a lot of complex code in it.

Start with Blueprints if you have never worked with a programming language before, as it will be easier for you to get started without the additional overhead of having to learn C++ as well. Start looking into how you can change and manipulate the default template: change the appearance of the projectiles, make the weapon rapid fire, make the character run faster and jump higher and so on. Having specific objectives like that will help guide you as you start pulling the blueprints apart, rather than randomly clicking through them.

Can I do everything with blueprints what I can also do with c++?

P.S. sry for bad english

Since marketplace is full of elitist functions, macros and interfaces instead of proper blueprints nodes, everything here is useless.
It easier to do everything on your own or from tutorials than to understand this ****.

First of all, ignore everything that Dudester says, he doesn’t understand the first thing about programming. As for your question - the vast majority of “real” games do completely custom assets, due to two reasons primarily: Original looks and perhaps more importantly, most of the assets on the marketplace are not production ready and are just half-■■■■■ cash-grabs. They are good for learning and prototyping but there are very few that you can actually use in a finished game.

I’m curious. Functions and interfaces serve to increase maintainability and readability for developers. How are they “elitist”? What does that even mean? Also, do you realize that blueprint nodes are function calls as well?

i bought some assets from the marketplace for my game (3d models – characters and props), but if people/player can notice/recognize that the assets used on a game are from a marketplace (ue4, unity, turbosquid …) and this will help the game to gain bad/negative feeling/feedback, what is the general purpose/meaning of the marketplace ?

i’m asking because i’m using some characters from the marketplace and i would like to avoid any bad feelings for my game.

it’s better to save the money and pay a freelance 3d modeller to create custom 3d art? (i’m asking this because i don’t have any 3d modeller/rigging guy on my team)

thanks for the help.

Honestly, unless the asset is very generic (like a tree or a piece of furniture) then I wouldn’t use a marketplace asset. Especially for things like a character model since they’re so prominent and easy to recognize.
The coding type of content (Blueprints/plugins/scripts) are super useful though so feel free to use that kind of stuff without feeling bad.

thank you for the information, i will keep it in mind.

Sorry for the long winded word vomit, but I recently asked myself whether or not to invest in available assets given I’m a one man band, so your thread kinda got me thinking about all the stuff that has been running through my head as of late.
I came to the conclusion that creating everything myself would be more arduous, but also more rewarding. Not only do you avoid the cookie cutter generic look, but you’ll actually understand your own creation. If you’re going to buy anything, I’d say your money is much better spent on the tools you’ll need. Buy a fishing pole, not a fish.

With that said, I think the most important thing is to be realistic and very honest with yourself. Once you have a goal in place, figure out your strengths and weaknesses and build a plan from there. You may find that your vision as more grand than your skill set, and that’s ok. Start small and build from a solid foundation. Depending on your skill set, you might approach your idea from an artist track, a programmer track, or somewhere in between.

I recently joined this community because I had an idea for a unique game experience. I know NOTHING about game design. I’m sure many people have been in this same position of thinking: I have this awesome idea for a game that’s gonna be open world, and unique, and have mechanics that nobody has ever thought of, and it will be the best game ever, and I can just make it once I install Unreal and watch a few tutorials!!! But that’s when you need to stop yourself, take a deep breath, have a beer if you’re old enough, and say Ok, I’m at A, what’s it going to take to get to Z? And if it’s not feasible for me to get to Z in the time I’m willing to commit, am I ok with getting to Y, or D, or even just to B?

As an example, I’m going into my personal journey with zero knowledge in game engines, a basic understanding of code logic, an intermediate understanding of animation, and advanced knowledge in modeling, texturing, and shading. That means I’m approaching my idea from the artist track. So those awesome game mechanics I envisioned? Let’s be realistic and trim that back a bit. I can learn how to get my characters walking around for now, and the fancy stuff can come later. And that grand, open world I envisioned? Well I can model the assets, but do I really want to invest the time needed to populate a large world? Do I even know enough about the game logic and performance targeting required for a large world? Again, let’s be realistic and start with a small world. In fact, let’s make it a tiny island so hiding map edges is one less thing to worry about. Animations? I can create a basic foundation then expand my skill set as needed. AI? forget about it. I’ll come back to that in several months once I have a better understanding of blueprints.

Going into it with that kind of mindset makes the whole process less overwhelming, and allows you to make small achievements that will increase your confidence. The thing is, it’s all fluid. You do a pulse check in a few months, a year, whenever, and you’re a little bit wiser and a little more realistic.

Cheers, and good luck!

Yes. Join a Team already developing one, that has made an substantial investment in marketplace assets and making rapid progress. Asset Modding is the new thing.