Is it possible to make a Data Table aware of rownames of other Data Tables?

Hi, so this might sound like a weird question, but I have had several times where I needed something like this to exist, I just don’t know if it’s possible.

So… in more detail here’s what I want to do:

Let’s say we have Data Table A, with these rownames:
UnrealEditor_2023-03-19_12-59-06

Now, I want Data Table B, to be able to read these rownames, so I can select the one I want, instead of writing it out specifically (Which might contain human error).
So something like this:

So essentially… this has nothing to do with blueprints, I’m aware that this probably might be possible by making an “Editor Utility Widget”, but I’d rather not do that, and I hope there’s a way to do it straight from the data table itself.

Also keep in mind… Data Table A at some point could have up to 500 entries (Rownames)… meaning that I don’t want to use ENUMS as a solution.

I am not fully sure of what you are trying to do, but I think you perhaps should rethink a bit of the process. You should be able to reference a Data Table and get the Row Names and populate another Data Table or an enumeration.

I suggest you should divide up your categories into enumerations: One catagory for Pistols another one for Knives, etc. This will allow you to have many different enumerations for various catagories, keeping things organized. You will need an enum for a dropdown menu.

1 Like

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply!
unfortunately your solution goes against my requirements/conditions.

However, it is possible that my conditions are just outright wrong and I simply don’t know that, if that is the case I’d like to know straight away without any alternatives.
Basically, is it possible to do what I want to do with my conditions or not.
(No enums, and no blueprints)

I’m not sure how else I could clarify what I want to do…
Basically I want Data Table B to be able to have a variable that is able to select a value from a “List”.
This “List” contains the rownames of Data Table A.
This “List” grows as more entry (Rownames) is added into Data Table A

Do you require a dropdown menu?

Yes pretty much, that’s why I mentioned “List”, cuz I don’t want to type stuff down.

Although, I don’t know if that’s even possible without an ENUM, and so that’s why I have this question :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, have a look here: Dynamic Enums or Custom Drop Downs for the Details Panels - #3 by Timoses

I think that may be of interest.

1 Like

wow I didn’t know this is possible.
however this is still not exactly what I need, I basically want this list to appear inside of the DT itself. (Not inside a blueprint)

Perhaps this can become an alternative method I can use however, so it’s still interesting as food for thought.

Anyhow, you’ve been very helpful so far, so thanks a lot <3

On second thought… I think this is exactly what I need o_o
I somehow missed the part where the info of the data table was inside of a struct.
This would technically make it possible to select the DT we want, and therefore also get its content…

okay… I’m not so sure, but I think I realize now that this probably might work.
If I do implement this, I’ll make sure to update this post.

1 Like

Yup, turns out this is exactly what I wanted.
Thanks a lot.

Though It seems I’ll have to dig a bit deeper with this, since I want to be able to select an array of rownames from a single data table, and that is currently not the case.

I might just make a new struct and tackle this problem, and try to figure out how to show an array of rownames instead of a single value.

Current result from your solution:

Fantastic! :smiley:

1 Like