Is it possible to link audio commands to buttons?

Hi All!

I have been working in Unreal for a little, but am by no means an expert. I wonder if it is possible to develop a game that takes audio commands. Something similar to a user saying ‘look’ and the look button is ‘clicked’? I work in C++ and Blueprints, and am not oppossed to any particular method. I bought some plugins from the market, but am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any advice, or have used audio commands before? I imagine the engine would need to listen, then recognize what it heard, then bind to an event. Does this seem right? Any ideas?

In the Project Settings, if you go to Input, there is the “Speech Mappings” section. I’ve never used it, but it may be a good place to start.

When searching for answers, you should use the terms “speech recognition” or “voice recognition” as opposed to “audio commands” to get better results.

Looking into the source, it seems there isn’t a system for doing speech recognition. “Speech Mappings” is just the framework for one. I’m sure there are plugins out there that can do it, though.

Thank you for your help! I have been looking for plugins and will continue to do so. I noticed the engine, under action mappings, has a section for spoken commands. Still trying to figure that out. It takes keywords, but I am not sure how it ‘recognizes’ them.

That is what I was talking about when I said this:

But, there is no speech recognition code built into the engine. The Speech Mappings section is probably just meant to be implemented on consoles / by plugins.

Thank you! I have been searching high and low for examples on how to use this option. I wondered why I couldn’t find any, thanks for saving me more time!