Is it possible to learn UE4 within a month?

First of all, instead of bombarding me with hate read this:
I have learnt Photoshop till Intermediate level in about 1 1/2 weeks
I learnt the Basics of Blender 3D withing 5 hours and can safely say that I’m quite nice with it within 2 weeks
I also learnt some ZBrush in about 1-1 1/2 weeks with being able to create low-tier stuff

I am natural with tech and there is no Limit to the number of hours I can put in a day (but let’s keep it to a max of 8-9 hours for now :P)

I am already planning on learning C++ but don’t have any intention of using it.

Keeping all of that into account, is it possible to learn UE4 within a month? Now I know its IMPOSSIBLE to learn everything, but I want to learn till the Intermediate/Lower-Advanced level.

Please tell me if there is any chance of being able to accomplish this, and If you can please also provide me any tutorials/books/links that I may be able to use to accomplish my goal.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

You can easily be putting together scenes in an hour or two, or putting together some basic blue print scripts. The Unreal Engine channel as a lot of basic tutorial content.

It isn’t really a matter of “learning UE4”. It’s more like “Can I learn the skills I need for X in a month?”

It’s best to think of a project that you expect to be able to finish in a week, and try to do it. As you hit stumbling points, then you should look at tutorials, review the API documentation, search AnswerHub, ask questions on the Forums and Discord, and so forth. Within a month, you’ll build quite a big base of knowledge. You’ll still be learning and relearning things years later, though.

I don’t really like the concept of “intermediate”, “advanced”, and so forth. It’s convenient to create a rough order to tutorials, but it’s pretty much impossible to have globally accepted levels. It’s better to just look at what you can do piece-by-piece. Also, that’s the reason why portfolios exists.

One more piece of advice: This image from the old Slack is great!

Even though this image is about multiplayer ownership, it’s a really handy, single-page representation of how the gameplay classes of Unreal Engine 4 are structured. As you get more comfortable with Unreal Engine 4, keep checking your knowledge against this image. As time goes on, you’ll understand it more and more. To start, there is always a level loaded, including the menus, even if it’s just an empty, black void. The base of anything that can be placed in a level is “Actor”. Whether it has a physical representation (geometry, etc.) depends on the components that are attached to it.

In terms of time-frame, game jam entries are often completed in a weekend, even for newbies (although those projects will be much more rough and much less elaborate).

All in all, UE is a much “bigger” software that the ones you mentioned. And even if you learn all the functions, you will need to learn several very different skills to utilize it, like materil design, animation, scripting, AI, sound design…

You will be able to do a lot with UE in a month of intense study. But I do not think you will cover nearly as much of what there is to learn as from studying Photoshop for two weeks.

(I do not include C++ in this at all. If you are a beginner at programming you will need a separate month to learn just the basics of it.)

Learning a tool is not difficult, as Photoshop and Zbrush and blender as a tool function is not that difficult.
But I personally think not so many people would say “I am a master of Zbrush” because of that person know about the function of the Zbrush.
Same as you can’t say that “I am a master of C++” Because of that person know about STL or grammar of the C++.

If you could say about a Master, mostly it’s about the fundamental underneath. Such as more deeper level of an art or a programming.

As I started UE4 since it released first UE4 version, I can’t say I mastered it.

Of course I learned it maybe in just few days as a tool’s functionality.

(I bet everyone even a very young student could do this with a basic tutorial, also I have seen many students who did this as an hobby.)

But UE4 is about all about an art and a programming.
Light for Level Design, Anatomy for Character Design, Procedural Generation for World Design,
Programming for a right latency and a threading and an allocation, GPU Programming for between CPU and GPU and parallization.
Line, Curve, Color, Binary ETC…

There is a bunch of people just did one section of design, for a decade.
And they wouldn’t dare to say as they’re a master.

And reason is this.
There is no books and no tutorials for an advanced level.
Everything is by yourself from the fundamental skills, such as a math, an art :slight_smile:

And Anyone can feel that they have learned of a tool.
But it’s actually not about the tools.
That’s very important point to know before you start something for a right path.

Thank you everyone for you replies :smiley:

I was actually planning on learning the “tools” of UE4 within a month and using another week or two to make a FPS/Racing game.

I actually want to learn the functionality/Use of tools for now.
I am actually a tech junkie and like to study/learn any software/application I can get my hands on.
I’m not sure which field I want to specialize in the tech industry for now e.g Animation/VFX/Gaming etc so I am learning and using softwares from all fields so I can set my preferences on what I enjoy the MOST and make a professional career on that.

Yeah I want to stay on the decent side i.e Not go TOO advanced into it but be decent enough with the software

All the UI is documented, what you do with it is another story.

I’ve been studying UE4 for 3 years and I don’t know even half of it yet :wink:

Hi. Start with blueprints, its just simplified c++ code.
To your question, YES, its possible to have decent scripting skills in 1 month.
If you finish this tutorial or at least 75% parts, , you will be good with using UE4…
It nevermind if its shooter or racing tutorial, 99% of stuff what you learn in this tutorial you will use in any game.