Is it possible to hide an image in a widget with something transparent ??

Hi

I want to make my images, buttons, borders to appear directly in the center of the screen or somewhere else, and i don’t want them to come from the sides of the screen. I mean i know how to do classic animations, but i what is that the image or the text appears anywhere on the scree like if it was hiding behind an invisible wall !! If only i could hide them with something transparent… but i don’t even know if it’s possible.

any help ? :slight_smile:

edit: something like the intro of this video :

You should use the widget animator. Make a button or text box etc, select it. Look at the bottom left corner click the green button to add animation. Click the animation, add a transform to the selected widget component and key frame the location you want it to start and finish and how many seconds you want the whole thing to take. And there you go. You can also use the “set visibility” node to make things appear or disappear at runtime or with specific interactions from the user.

What exactly are you trying to do?

sorry for my english, it’s always hard to explain exactly what i want :slight_smile:

I want to make an image appear by making it sliding , like if it was behind a wall or something. so i guess it would be possible if we can use some sort of transparent “wall” that would hide the image behind it , even if it’s transparent !!

mmm i know my english isn’t good :slight_smile: But i’m not asking how to do animations :slight_smile: what i want is that my image or text appears in the center of the screen or elsewhere, and not coming from the sides ! again i want it to appear like if there is an invisible wall in front of it, but that wall has to be transparent !! so the image would appear slowly horizontaly or vertically, but again, not coming from the sides of the screen !! I’m not sure if this is possible with UE4 !

I want something like the intro of this video

My English is good and I understood what you want and was pointing you towards a “tool” you can use in UE4 to accomplish what you want. Since you have text that is “moving”, you are animating it somehow. Perhaps you could do it with a “mask” overlaying the image and set its opacity to change vertically or horizontally although I think that would be much more work than what I will suggest to you using the UMG animator. Basically what you need is not a “transparent” that would be useless then you would see the image all the time and not even notice anything is in front of it. Glass is transparent…it hides nothing, so I doubt that is what you want. What you really want is something opaque to block all the text you want to hide. Then use the animation tool to slowly pull the “opaque wall” up, down, left or right depending on how you want to reveal your text. So the text will always be present in the center of your screen (or wherever you choose to place it) and the “opaque wall” will cover it, then you animate the wall to move away in some direction revealing the text beneath. Def can be done easily in UE4.

Thanks for taking time to answer, i appreciate :slight_smile:
what you say about the moving wall, that’s a good idea, the only problem is that the wall shouldn’t be opaque, it has to be invisible, and that’s what i meant by “transparent”. anyway, thanks again for your help :wink:

You’re really confusing. I watched the video, hence why I said you need something opaque. How can you “hide” something behind something transparent??? That’s like playing hide and go seek behind a glass wall…it makes no sense. You either don’t want the text hidden completely, so more of a changing alpha value or you do want it hidden and just don’t understand what opaque and transparent mean. Maybe a poor translation if English isn’t you’re first language??

Your wall if it’s the same color as the background you’re displaying the text on won’t appear as a “wall” it will just cover your text but allow you to move it later. Putting a blue sheet over a blue background will just look like a blue background. But with the “sheet” you’ll be able to move that section of “blue” away to reveal text beneath. That’s the opaque wall…

“Your wall if it’s the same color as
the background”

Well that’s my problem ! i have never said that there is a background !!! maybe you thought that because of the video, but what i wanted to show i just the effect, and i couldn’t find a good example for that.

“How can you “hide” something behind
something transparent???”

Well i never said i can ! i was asking if it was possible in UE4 or not, because i don’t know ! What i know is that in 3D programs, you can make an object invisible in render, but at the same time cast shadows or something else … i mean it’s there, it’s doing something, but we can’t see ! The effect i want to achieve is something i see a lot in presentations or even games … but i couldn’t find any way to do it in UE4, that’s why i thought maybe it’s kind of an invisible wall !

Then you need to go into the material editor, make your text a material, and use masks and alpha channels to control how much of the mask covers the image of your text. I have seen this done with progress bars so I am sure it can be done in UE4 with text but it will take a bit of math and material editor stuff that I don’t know well enough to help you with. Sorry.

Don’t worry :wink: you’ve already spent a lot of time trying to help me, and i thank you for that :slight_smile: have a nice day :wink:

The part that you want to appear/disappear must be a child of another element like a canvas/sizebox/overlay something that can have children. Change the parent clipping on the details panel to clip to bounds. Then on your animation, if you dont you use a canvas within the canvas, you must animate the render transform properties for the child. If you use a canvas you can animate as usual the slot.

2 Likes

WOW !!! That’s exactly what i wanted :slight_smile: It works perfectly, thank you so much :slight_smile: Glad you understood what i wanted, and also glad to see that it’s that easy !! Thanks again my friend :wink:

Its nothing, it so simple and yet somehow no one was able to give you an answer that i am baffled. Good to see that even if almost half year late i was able to help you