Is it possible to animate the top half of a skeleton independently of the bottom half?

I think this has specific vocabulary that would really help me, but for the life of me, I don’t know what it is, so I will explain. I have the AnimStarterPack which has some fantastic animations that I would like to use. It has a ton of animations for walking, jogging, sprinting, and crouching in all directions, however, it only has all of those for the Rifle pose. It does have some for a shotgun pose and a handgun pose, but really only in one direction or speed.

This leads me to believe that there should be a way to change the animation pose for the top half of the skeleton or the arms without having to create a whole new blend space or animation sequence for the bottom half. If anyone has any links to tutorials, or just know the terminology for what I described, I would greatly appreciate it!

what your looking for is a blend, more specifically a blend per bone. this will enable you to have one animation playing from the waist up and another from the waist down for example. its actually based on bones so itd be from bone X instead of the waist but you get the idea. I linked below the doc for blends and a tutorial on blend per bone. there probably other tutorials out there but this is the first that came up and seemed decent as i scanned through.

1 Like

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!