Is it posible to rotate root component?

So what I am trying to do for about 4 hours is to create projectile actor witch will representate a bullet. And I’m almost succeed. Charater do shooting projectile and it flies in the right direction, but the bullet itself is having wrong rotation and the problem is that i cant change a rotation of box collision, witch is root component at the moment. So the answer is: Is it posible at all? and if it’s not, how can i solve this problem in different way? Thanks for your attention.

Hi, it’s possible, drag your physics box component, and drag it onto the root component. When this is done, your physics box component will be the parent. After this, in blue print/ code, you will look for AddTorque(Box).

P.S static mesh will, and projectile component will be the child of your “Box component”.

So drag box to the top, or drag on to the current root.

Then in BP, AddTorque, or set the WorldRotation/ Angular Velocity.

Hope this guides you in the right direction.

If Moynzys way doesnt work, or for some reason you dont want to follow that route, you can always set up a WorldRotation node in the construct script of the blueprint, this allows you to manually adjust the roots orientation.

TL:DR - Create a new Scene Component and make it the Root. You can no rotate your original Root Component (now a child component) and then delete the new root component after rotating, making your original root component the current root component again and the new rotations will be applied. Hope this mkes sense and helps someone out…ya know, now that it is like 5 years later lmao

If anyone come across this, I ran into a situation where I tried putting a capsule collision component as root component, and my original root component a child of that. My original root (scene) component got rotated and when I could not get capsule to work correctly I deleted it, and my original Root (Scene) Component became my root component again, all my other components rotations were messed up and incorrect. I solved the poblem by creating a new scene component, making it the root, and my original Root (scene) compoanent a child, which allowed me to change its rotation. When I deleted the new root scene component and my original became root component again, my rotations were now back to being correct for my child componnts.

2 Likes