Is Hlod broken in 5.0?

I’ve been having a lot of issues with HLOD and world partition so far. I’ve tried 3 different maps and had completely different problems in each.

ThirdPersonMap
-HLOD will bake
-But the resulting bake has no textures at all

Open World Default Map
-HLOD will bake for terrain only
-Any static meshes place on the terrain will not get any HLOD created
-HLOD for terrain is strange and has tiles that remain at full LOD despite neighboring tiles swapping out

Empty Open World Default Map in a UE4 Conversion Project:
-HLOD does not work at all

I don’t know if I’m completely doing something wrong but these results just make no sense to me at all. Sometimes the meshes work, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they have textures applied. Sometimes they don’t. I’ve tried tons of different options and using the commandlet with the same results. These are default projects that have open world enabled so I don’t really understand what I’m doing wrong.

4 Likes

We are also having issues with HLODs not seeming to work correctly in 5.0.1 Pretty much seeing the same thing you did in your test.

1 Like

I’d also like to know if anyone has had success with building HLODs.

To be honest, I’m surprised either of you got anything to build at all… When I try to build from the HLOD menu inside the editor, Unreal fails to build them and returns a huge list of unknown function callstack errors.

When I use the commandlet it just straight up crashes.

No idea how this is supposed to work…

im suffering from this too.
I can get HLODs to build from comandlet but it bugs out and starts combining different mesh sections into the same hlod and then just straight up gives up for the rest of the landscape mesh. I think its safe to say the HLOD system is totally broken at this point. which is annoying as its one of the more interesting additions to UE5

1 Like

Hmm They are definitely using them in the city project, and so compiled it… Has it been tried with a source build of the editor?

yeah, the hlod system doesn’t work at all, something wired always happens. Is there a video tutorial?

2 Likes

Experiencing this sort of weird issue too I think. Using world partition and instancing HLODs. Set to always load or not it just doesn’t seem to show up in the editor at least.

Same issue here with 5.0.3 and using World Partition. I can build HLODs in the editor, and I have multiple textured buildings in the level. After building the HLODs and running in Editor if the cameras are getting away from some HLOD0 buildings first the texture disappears (but it’s still HLOD0), at a bigger distance the building is replaced with lower resolution HLOD1 - that again shows the textures.

The texture issue may be caused by the setting of some materials
You can check the option in the image below and try again.

I’m also experiencing tons of issues. HLOD coloration view is broken. Mesh reduction happens even if the method “Merge” is selected if enable Nanite is also selected.

Building Landscape HLODs in UE5.2 works perfectly fine for me.
I haven’t tried UE5.1 or UE5.0.
I also haven’t tried foliage or meshes yet, that is coming up next.
Be sure to set the Landscape LOD 0 Screen Size to at least 2.0 or the HLOD will require tons of memory.
I also have had issues using the default landscape that is provided in a new open world template, that landscape doesn’t seem to build HLODs all of the time and often just errors. New maps with new imported terrains work every time for me though.

I have also a ton of issues in 5.3. Hlod for terrain dont build, I get a ton of errors indicating different dll files missing. Something about mesh and instancing… It would be great if a Unreal dev could shine upon us here…

I found this topic that solves all my problems with the generation of Hlods.