Arduino right?

Eitherway, cool example. Keep at it.

Actualy these will be run on ESP32

Makes sense, bluetooth wify comboā€¦

I made some upgrade to this

Now IĀ“m working hard to get force feedback working

1 Like

Really nice job.
You should ask funds to commercialize this when itā€™ll be done, since current force feedback gloves pricing is kind of ridiculous

Hhahaha as an early young 20 years old, it would be a little too much :melting_face:

I would reather be happy if epic games just hire me instead :pleading_face:

Why? They arent the right company for someone who is actually capable of doing things.
Apply at Valve.

Force Feedback Testing update:

OK I worked rly hard to get the Force Feedback working and I was surprise how much resistance there is, wow.

You cant rly see it in the vid. but it is rly pushing back, and its not even full power.

(The yellowish thing is the finger tip holder/connector)

@MostHost_LA I dont even know if big firms would even take me in XD and I dont rly know what difficulty this project is on, but for me its a headach to learn all of these as newcomer in UE5 and overall conding.

Well, you should be extruding this from unreal - making a dx11/12 compatible controller interface driver for it - eventually.
And/Or you need to make an SDK to provide to game makers for implementation - both are possible. the SDK may be much easierā€¦

Thing is,
IMHO if the final product cost is around say $100 - and the size/weight is better than the already existing DIY things, you could easily set up a go fund me or similar, promising an initial batch of 1000 products at double your cost (so 100% profit) and just use the funds to hire developers to make proper drivers.

It all depends on if you want to take it out of the college level thesis into a world application - nothing should prevent you from it, at least in theory, you do have to do some patent research prior, as itā€™s just good diligence if you want to take something to market - but you have the prototype, so thatā€™s probably 70% of the work being done, itā€™s worth considerationā€¦

As I mention before, this ongoing project is suppost to be my
graduation project and to commercialize these is not on my mind at this time, because it would take a lot of resources and risks, so I would rather put this to my portfolio for the future jobs and so onā€¦

And since IĀ“m doing this alone, developing new features on to the glove or make this to a dev kit for any kind of aplications would be very to exhausting, in addition to that I dont even know where to start.

But thanks for your advice and suggestion IĀ“ll keep it on my mind and maybe thinks could change in the future, you never know ā€¦ :laughing:

2 Likes

Now IĀ“m getting closer what I have imagine . :face_holding_back_tears:

Its far from perfect thoā€¦ so next step is to sit down and optimize this thing.
I just merged all the hardware together today.

Also new some new features has been added to:

• Adding the DIY localization system, since i dont own any VR gear ( this was a headach to build and code)
  • Adding wireless communication between the Glove and UE5
  • Adding batteries for better Force Feedback

testing all the hardware :

Wire clean up :

Imgur

So my last semester is slowly coming to an end. And I have to hand over this project.
But it does not mean that this project is going to end here. Iā€™ll develop and maintain this this in my free time.

And here the link to my Github.

note the repos. are still private but its going to be published soon!

The current state of the glove:

228447222-9a7d7522-b9ad-4f0b-85b0-2efa980ad3ed

Many thanks to @MostHost_LA and @Enter_Reality, @Get_DOVAH_it the supporting me . This project was tough, but Iā€™ve learned a lot and I also want to learn more the deeper Iā€™m in the more interresting it gets.

Epic games lemme join your team
This is my resume
:smirk:

3 Likes

Wow biu, you did a great job.
I am also a student, and hope to use UE to finish my haptics demo.
I tried to use line trace for objects on the finger. I was curious how to send a vertical ray from the finger to the finger belly for collision detection in real time. And wondering your Raycast event. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me

Im confused as to the logic behind that.

In unreal if you add a socket to a bone, the socket takes the rotations of said bone.
Repositioning the socket to the finger tip, and tracing from the socket forward - towards the direction of the bone - should in theory be OK.

Alternatively, just attach an editor only arrow to the socket, then rotate the socket until the arrow points where you want it to (say you want the contact to be the middle of the meaty fingertip. Position the socket and manually roate it as needed).

Alternatively, and perhaps a better option, you can use boxes for the purpose of collision detection.
If you make the box slightly smaller than the finger profile, the finger would visually sligltly penetrate the object(s) you reach, potentially looking more realistic since our meaty fingers tend to deform/conform to what we touch.

I would really only use a trace for ā€œpredictionā€ purposes. Say I need to know if within 20 farames ill reach an object and have to fire up some sort of special tweening animation or similarā€¦
Otherwise for both the current and next frame iā€™d stick to a box/capsule.

Thanks for your advice.
I used to use line trace to get the collision UV, and return texture rgb, so I continue doing this stuff in VR template. I am going to discard the line tracing later and try if only collision box can work.

The UV returned may not be what you expect.

Collisions with boxes/spheres/capsule will usually return the UV at their direct impact point.
That point is very often not where you expect it to be.

So potentially, you may want to run the trace after a capsule detects an impact to pull up the correct UVā€¦

Youā€™re right, I want to use line trace for the collision on the right direction. Also, your last sentence was what I actually did, but I canā€™t get the right direction for the line, so I hope to find whereā€™s my mistake, or get another method for it.
Maybe I can use 2 collision box for it.

If tracing from a socket the direction is usually either forward vector or right vector.

Generally you just multipy the vector by a distance.

So,

how i did it was just like @MostHost_LA suggested. @YosomiChann
I put raycasts/line trace and arrows to the finger sockets.

In short, I just check wether the distance is qual zero and from there, its just a bunch of branchesā€¦ and attach and detach actorsā€¦

The Github repo is public, if you want to dig in these stuff.

And here is also a small update. ( small but it was a lot of struggle )
I was able to implement this into the VR_Template/VR Game. Have a look.

1 Like

Well well its been a while. As promised Iā€™ll keep you guys updated. Still working on it :smile:

Have a look!