Is Discord property of China?

Is discordapp owned by Tencent (20% of holdings right?) if that’s so why it’s banned in China? That’s what I heard.

Tencent is not the sole-shareholder of Discord Inc. (the company behind the Discord app) and the Chinese government is not the sole-shareholder of Tencent, if at all.

However, it is far to say that political imperatives can complicated. The Chinese government is afraid that Discord may become yet another Facebook, yet Discord may make Tencent a lot of money and by extent, the Chinese government, by taxing Tencent and perhaps even through dividends to state-owned hedge-funds.

It is worth noting that China has a different economic model than say, the former USSR; In China, some companies may be state-owned, yet like in the US you can also form your own company and be allowed to operate.

Btw, did you know Epic Games is also partially owned by Tencent?

1 Like

Yeah 40% of Tencent holdings the rest ones 60% of holdings belongs to Epic Games(I’m aware of it). Yes I know. Anyway did you hear about coronavirus? In the 90’s Japan dominated global market and entire economy system,but nowadays times had changed.