Is a special purpose Actor different than an Empty Actor with a Component attached?

For instance, is a DirectlonalLight Actor any different than an Empty Actor in which you’ve attached a DirectionalLight Component? It doesn’t have to be Lights, per se. I’m just trying to understand the general difference, if any, between the two approaches to creating scene Actors. Is it better to do it one way or the other? Are there any production or performance advantages to either? Thanks.

It’s been a while since I did this so I’m not sure if this is still the case, but to modify the time of day in the default sky sphere you need to use a directional light actor, not component. Other than that, I can’t think anything

There is no difference in regards of performance or anything. The only differnce you have is that when you place a DirectionalLight into the Level , you have a DirectionaLightActor. It is a different type of actor in an OOP perspective, but essentially it is the same in regards of functionality and performance. The BP_SkySphere for example has a property “Light Source”, which is a DirectionalLightActor Reference, in there you need to put an actual DirectionalLightActor. An empty actor with a DirectionalLightComponent wont work because it would be a different class/blueprint

So it’s only relevant in terms of your class hierarchy and your own architectural design - just nothing functional, per se. Good to know. Thank you.