Is a spatializer plugin always outputting stereo?

Hi there,

I started to write my own spatializer plugin trying to output sound to specific speakers in a custom way.
I realized that the spatializer always outputs stereo, as far as I can see though.

The question:

Is the spatializer only meant to output stereo (e.g. simple panning or HRTF) output to headphones or can it be used with more speakers as well?

Thanks in advance!

Did you find an answer to this? If so, I would love to see your results. My goal is to use something like this to record 4-channel ACN AmbiX for 360 video use. Currently I am having to rotate my camera (listener) to capture L/R, F/B and U/D WAV files three time in sequencer, then sum and matrix the three 2-channel stereo channels to create my own Ambisonic 1st Order B format to use in Adobe Premiere. Here’s test sample on YouTube: https://youtu.be/JtG6Gpiprkg

Hi, unfortunately a spatializer only ever converts a stereo input signal into another stereo output.

See my post to your other post. I am thinking if I can use the 17 channels somehow that Unreal now defines in 4.26 this will allow me much more flexibility for my needs of encoding in a DAW or NLE. But I am thinking from I read in this article about Max Hayes is that they might be working from a Ambisonic source to derive channel information now and that there is now an Ambisonic library. When I asked on Twitter where this was located, I received no response. My thinking is this is where Unreal 5 is going allowing much more flexibility in how audio is recreated at the endpoint.