IOS11 ARkit?

The Editor doesn’t finish loading. This is on macOS only, not on an iOS device. Here is a gist of the error log.

This is on macOS 10.12.5 with Xcode 9.0 beta (9M136h). The GPU is an Nvidia GTX 1080 with the latest Web Drivers from Nvidia (378.05.05.15f01).

I get the error both with and without an iPhone (6s) plugged in.

Thanks for confirming that this is a Editor bug on Nvidia and for the logs. AMD GPUs will be unaffected and Intel GPUs are also likely fine.

I’m new to Unreal and checked the ARSample on my and iPad. Everything is working without any issues and now I’m checking the Sample to see how it’s working.
There are some parts i don’t understand. Why do i have two Scenes looking nearly the same? ARSample and ARSample_Env?
Thx

Fix?

For those of us who have Nvidia GPUs and are loathe to purchase new absurdly overpriced apple hardware for the sole purpose of deploying UE4 to ios - when do you expect this to be fixed?

We’ll work on getting this resolved as soon as we can, but I can’t promise any specific timeline.

Hi guys, the same crash with ARKit from me :slight_smile:

OSX: 10.12.4 & 10.12.5
(Retina, Mid 2012) NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

[2017.06.10-14.25.50:128]  2]LogMac:Error: appError called: Assertion failed: Assertion failed:  [File:/Users/oleg/Work/UnrealEngine-dev-ar-kit/Engine/Source/Runtime/Apple/MetalRHI/Private/MetalPipeline.cpp] [Line: 714] 
Failed to generate a render pipeline state object:

Unhandled atom in intrinsic: llvm.bswap.i32

UPDATE: Now crash fixed with this https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/472a4d86fef32c33f5e8053bd47f54f91e0c4b42
Thank you @marksatt-pitbull :slight_smile:

Does this AR-Demo could run on the iPhone 6 Plus which is A8 processor ???
Is there any possible to make it works?

Hi,
I’ve tested it out and it won’t run on my iPhone 6+

You can just run UE4Editor.app from Binaries/Mac once you have compiled it. It will ask for a project, select ARSample. If it’s getting stuck at 35% and never continuing… not sure. Logs of that would help - or maybe attach from Xcode while it’s stuck. You shouldn’t have to run the editor from Xcode (I almost never do)

The output you attached was from a Launch On, not from the editor loading.

Have it all compiled, but won’t run on iPhone 6 either - Segfault with invalid address. Maybe A8 is out of the question.

Cool. I’m really looking forward to working with ARKit.

the same crash from me

OSX: 10.12.5
xcode 9 beta
NVIDIA 1080

In ARKit there is a session configuration object called ARWorldTrackingSessionConfiguration. This tracks a device’s orientation and position in a room (6-DOF), in the WWDC ARKit session Apple said that only A9 and above processors support this object. There is an ARSessionConfiguration that tracks only orientation, but that wouldn’t be enough information for an Unreal scene.

So, I bet that Unreal’s ARKit implementation requires 6-DOF and hence requires an A9 processor. So, anything less than an iPhone 6s won’t work.

I know what the problem is on Nvidia GPUs running 10.12.5 and that has been fixed for 4.17.

There are additional issues on 10.13 when running on Nvidia GPUs that we will work with Apple & Nvidia on so I’d suggest sticking with 10.12 for now, unless you can install 10.13 on an external or separate partition (as Apple strongly recommend!) so you can reboot back into 10.12 if needed.

Thanks for the update @marksatt-pitbull
Is the fix checked into any of the branches? The last commit on dev-ar-kit is on June 5th (which crashes for me as described above).

Just tried this as well, same crash.

(Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2048mb
OSX 10.12.5
XCode 9.0 beta (9M136h)

I built the ShaderCompileWorker, then UnrealLightmass, then built/ran the ARSample. Stopped at Unhandled atom in intrinsic: llvm.bswap.i32. We have a that doesn’t have the Nvidia hardware in it that i’m currently attempting to compile now without this modification. Interestingly enough, when I first started, I accidentally used Xcode8, which compiled everything, launched the editor, and compiled all of the shaders without issue - same setup listed above. I ran out of time, and didn’t get to the part of adding the certificates and provision profiles within UE4 and stopped. Then realized I was using Xcode8, so I pulled down the Xcode9 Beta, and this is when it wouldn’t even finish launching the editor before crashing as it is now. I’ll follow up once we’ve finished compiling on the non-Nvidia hardware .

What’s the size about this ARKit demo package -> iOS(.ipa) ?

Is that too big to be a AR-iPhone-APP by use UE4 to make it ?

Is there any possible to reduce the final-shipping-app size down to 60MB ? I’m trying to…and hope it could be !

Hi @marksatt-pitbull,

Any updates about the fix? Is it possible to get it from dev-ar-kit branch in 1-2 weeks, not from 4.17 later? Thank you!

Update:

We’ve been able to successfully build and deploy the ARKit demo to an iPhone7 Plus running iOS 11 beta through Xcode9 Beta and the ARkit branch. It successfully compiled on a (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) w/ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6100 1536MB running OSX 10.12.5. Attempting the same on our other MBP with the NVidia GT 750M failed as mentioned previously.

No updates yet, the fix is in for 4.17 so that’ll just work, so just need to work out how to get it to those of you using the ARKit snapshot.