iOS Remote Build issues

It’s that time of year again to try all the things we tried before.

I’m having trouble enabling remote build. I have the following issues:

1. The Remote Build UI is disabled in the editor, so I’m setting parameters directly in the project’s config file.
  2. Permissions are really screwy.

Permissions 0770 for '/cygdrive/C/Users/justi/AppData/Roaming/Unreal Engine/UnrealBuildTool/SSHKeys/192.168.178.56/justincook/RemoteToolChainPri
    vate.key' are too open. It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others. This private key will be ignored.
   bad permissions: ignore key: /cygdrive/C/Users/justi/AppData/Roaming/Unreal Engine/UnrealBuildTool/SSHKeys/192.168.178.56/justincook/RemoteToolChainPrivate.keyPermission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

The steps I have followed so far are to generate the SSH key in the editor. Initially this could not function because of bad perms again, but I resolved that somehow and it saved the key.

The key itself still has bad perms though, according to cygwin.

I followed several guides on fixing perms in the Windows UI but the permissions remained 0660 or at times 0770.

I used WSL and enabled ACLs on the drive and forced the file to 0600, but cygwin couldn’t see this change. Windows however could.

I navigated to the UE copy of deltacopy and used a command prompt to run the included ssh.exe on the generated key, and received the same error as above. Excellent.

I provided a new key location to ssh.exe and it connected without complaint.

I copied the new key to the old location and the error did not change.

I checked and fixed the perms of the key’s parent folder and the error did not change.

I’m at my wits end. This process has never worked across multiple workstations and different versions of UE. The way UE handles this seems to be sub-optimal as well, with the introduction of WSL there’s no need for cygwin. Falling back on a password would be ideal but this isn’t an option.