iOS Launch and Crash after "Splash Screen"

Crash is probably the wrong term but I don’t know how else to describe it. When I either package into an ipa or launch from editor it successfully loads onto the iPad device and opens the “Your Splash Screen Here” screen (we don’t have a splash screen). After about 30 seconds or so it exits the app and returns to the home page.

The app is still running, there seems to be no “crash” log but if I try to reopen the app or navigate back it sits on the splash screen for 30 seconds before returning home. It’s more like the editor simply decides to terminate the debug session without any information regarding why.

One of my coworkers suggested that it could be a provisioning issue, but the last time we were dealing with provisioning issues the app wouldn’t even install to the device. The provision we’re currently using is a development (rather than distribution) provision, which has been the only provision we’ve been able to get to work (though that’s another topic on its own).

Is it possible that because the app would be attempting to use the iPad camera that we’re getting an issue (I know there are problems with inter-app actions but I assumed app to hardware would be fine)?

I made a default project with the same camera capabilities and was able to package into an IPA with the same provision and certificate. So it’s not anything to do with accessing the camera, or the credentials used (I think). Going to try gradually moving everything from one project to the other tomorrow and see what (if anything) causes it to break.

Hey Huogo,

With your default test project, did it open with a Launch (splash) screen? Is the launch screen something that’s intended to display in your project? (I ask because typically packaged games do not deploy the default generic splash screen, so I’m wondering if you’re unintentionally opening a splash screen and, from that point, it does not have a command to open your starter map.)

Also, please post your packaging logs.

Thanks,

Thank you for the response.

Yes, the default project opened the launch screen as well. Neither project is supposed to have a launch screen. It’s the first time I’ve tried to package to iOS with unreal so it wouldn’t surprise me that I accidentally turned something on or off. I can’t post the logs until Tuesday (can’t access my work computer remote and out of the office all weekend).

I’ll leave a note on my calendar to update further on Tuesday.

Upon further investigation, I found the splash screen is always there. (On the games I tested before they flash so fast I hadn’t noticed them.) So likely this is not the cause of the crash. (If you want to replace the generic splash screen with your own, you can do this through the Project settings.)

Please post the crash logs when you can, as this will point to the actual cause of the crash. -Thanks!

There aren’t any crash logs (to my knowledge). Though you also asked for the Packaging Logs, where are those stored? I looked through the output window but it seems to be referencing a folder named “Libraries” within my User account. When I navigate there it doesn’t appear to be there and I don’t know how to reveal hidden folders on Mac (if you can even have hidden folders for Mac).

In the meantime Im attempting to clear up or isolate specific warnings listed in the Output (it’s not listing any errors and I am wondering if any particular warning is causing the troubles)

Packaging Logs:

1. Open Project and package project (you can package to device or desktop)
  2. Show log when packaging (Start with blank log)
  3. When done packaging, select all text and Cut & Paste it into a doc and post.
  4. If you packaged to the desktop, you can find the Crash/Game logs here: [YourProject]/Game/Saved/Logs

Game Log (I referred to as Crash log as we typically use this to find why the game fails or “crashes”)

• Open Xcode (Install Xcode if you have not already)
  • Open Window|Devices
  • Select the device you want to get the log off of
  • Select the app you want to get the log from
  • Select the gear icon under the app list
  • Select Download Container
  • Select a location for the container file
  • Navigate to the file via Finder
  • Right click and select Show Package Contents
  • Navigate to the location of the log:(AppData/Documents/Game/Saved/Logs/)

Took a little bit to get them.

Game Log

Package Log

Hopefully the package log is still readable, I had to convert to .txt because the upload wouldn’t allow docx.

This version of the package works (but it’s missing several major pieces). The differences between the two has mostly to do with edits to the player controller and the objects being rendered (assuming it would let me beyond the launch screen). Currently looking to note any differences, I saved a few versions to gradually add assets back into the program and figure out which assets caused it to break.

Working Version

Update: It seems, the versions that break, their game logs just stop while allocating memory, but are virtually the same as the working version except the working version continues. I don’t even think it would have to do with running out of memory because the working version is allocating similar amounts before continuing to allocate significantly more.

They share the same warnings and actions except minor shifts in available memory (1-2MB here or there).

I found these warnings in your packaging log:

1. M_Landscape_Sandrock material is not compatible with iOS devices.
  2. “m1114_lod_000.m1114_lod_000” Was not found: cannot have a period “.” in an asset name
  3. “Ground1_Mat.Ground1_Mat” Failed to Compile Material cannot have a period “.” in an asset name (also, material may not be compatible)
  4. HUD.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version.
  5. ColorMenu.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version.

4 & 5 could be caused by a number of things… After fixing the first three, try deleting the Config, Intermediate, and Saved folders from your Project directory.

If these issues persist and your game still fails to open, try the solution from this link: [Asset has been saved with empty engine version - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums][2]

While warnings are not always “show-stoppers,” they should be corrected in order to isolate the issue(s) that are preventing your game from opening.

Those 2 files with periods in the name don’t have a period in their name. In editor it shows them as just “name” rather than “name.name”. I also looked in the project folder and they are “name.uasset”

Ill continue looking but figured I would elaborate for that since I’m at a loss for those errors.

I’m not sure what’s causing the name issue. Right-clicking the Content folder and selecting “Fix Up Redirectors in Folder” may resolve this. I suspect the non compatible material to be the main culprit. Fix that first and see if this resolves the issue.

Apologies for the delay, I wasn’t able to fix the warnings before I got off work and I had errands to run. After removing all the warnings, it still doesn’t seem to work. I also attempted to check if there were any further issues by building lighting and checking the ES2 setting.

Packaging Log

Game Log

There were a few warnings on the map itself. One mentioned that some of the set pieces were really large and casting shadows would be expensive so I turned off all shadows. The other was that some of the static mesh components were set to NULL, so I gave them spheres and turned off visibility.

Is airplane mode on or off when you are launching to the iPad? Try it both ways and if it continues to fail under both circumstances, send a link to your project to me on our Forum if possible.

It does fail under both circumstances, though the log for launch vs package is a little different. I need to make sure I can send you a link (hopefully it’s fine).

I noticed in the Game Logs that refraction quality is being set, but in the documentation, materials for mobile doesn’t support refraction inputs. Should I worry about forcing that to 0?
Setting Device Profile CVar: [[r.RefractionQuality:1]]

Two extra warnings I receive when launching within editor. The warning associated with “GetModuleFilename” I would assume is also there with the working versions too since it’s part of the AR Third Party Plugin. I also assume that the MetaData mismatch isn’t something that’s a big problem (big enough to cause a failure to happen).

LogPlayLevel: RocketGenerateProjectFiles: /Users/21434/Documents/Unreal Projects/IOS_Slow_Add/Plugins/ARToolkitPlugin/Source/ThirdParty/ARToolkit/ARToolkit.Build.cs(17,61) : warning CS0612: `UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.GetModuleFilename(string)’ is obsolete

and

LogStats:Warning: MetaData mismatch. Did you assign a stat to two groups? New //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_1bee3_0///####STATCAT_Advanced#### old //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_1a6e3_0///####STATCAT_Advanced####

Update: I am in the process of trying to get a version that breaks in the same way but is different. My boss doesn’t want some items sent out due to proprietary things, so one of the artists is helping create stand-in assets. Unfortunately if I can’t get the Mac back today from IT it will be ~2 weeks before I can send you the project.