iOS Deployment Without Paid Developer Account Won't Work

Hello Dear Community-Members,

For days now I am trying to find out what I’m doing wrong but it seems like I can’t find the right solution.
I am new to the Unreal Engine and currently trying to figure out how all of it works. I downloaded the Epic Zen Garden and the Sun Temple example project off of the “Engine Feature Samples” and wanted to deploy them on my iPhone, but I can’t. I read about 10 possible solutions but none of them really worked and somehow there are several ways to handle this matter so I wanted to ask you to eventually share your workflow regarding building apps on iOS using Unreal.

My setup:

Unreal 4.23 and 4.24
iMac 2017 with OS Catalina 10.15.1
iPhone XR with iOS 13.3
Xcode 11.3

As the title mentions, I am trying to find a solution without having to spend $99 for the Paid Developer Program.

What I did so far:
I’ve opened up Xcode and created a new project. I automatically signed in with my free developer account, used an bundle identifier and deployed the app on my iPhone. What happened now is that a provisioning profile and a certificate is created.
I then switched back to Unreal, opened the project settings -> iOS and used the same bundle identifier like the on in the Xcode project.
The mobile provision and certificate show “valid” and I also checkmarked them.

I then choose my device within Unreal under “Launch” and 2 error messages pop up saying “Provision not found” “Signing key not found”.
When I try to launch through Launch -> Project Launcher -> iPhone I suddenly receive following error:

ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘/Users/myName/Documents/Unreal Projects/SunTemple/Binaries/IOS/SunTemple.target’. Check that this target has been built.

So what am I doing wrong? This solution came up the most while searching for ways to handle this problem.

I would be thankful if anyone could share his steps. Please note that I am trying to do it without having a paid developer account.

Best regards

Where did you get the idea it would be possible without a paid developer account?

Oh sorry, didn’t see your reply up! I actually read about it often. There are people mentioning they deploy the project on iOS without having the paid developer account. Why wouldn’t it be possible though? Unity has the option to deploy it on iOS without having to pay… I just would like to try out some apps locally on my iPhone. I understand that for publishing it on the App Store I need to pay.

It’s possible and finally i’ve build .ipa with free dev account and install it on my device, spending about 10 hours…

You don’t need to work with free provisioning profiles manually.
Automatic signing possible from unreal editor without creating that dummy blank xcode project with same App ID.

Connect your device to mac.
Create new mobile project in unreal editor , then in project settings for IOS change the field with Bundle Identifier to com.yourcompany.[PROJECT_NAME] (don’t change the macro [PROJECT_NAME] , leave it as is).
Do not choose or import any provisions and certificates.
Then check the Automatic Signing chekbox and fill the IOS Team ID field (value for this field can be examined in any of your xcode project signed before with your free dev account - right click on .xcodeproj file, then choose Show Package Content, then view content of file project.pbxproj and find DEVELOPMENT_TEAM = ???; take this value)
Select fro menu File–Package Project–IOS and wait while buildng .ipa file.
Drop builded .ipa file to your device in Xcode’s Devices and Simulators window.

I’ve tested all this steps right now and it works with my free dev account.

9 Likes

Hey Sergey,

thank you very much - your solution works like a charm and saved my day!

Cheers!

I’ve tried to do the same but here is what I got:

UATHelper: Packaging (iOS): Code Signing Error: Failed to register bundle identifier. The app identifier "com.YourCompany.Game" cannot be registered to your development team because it is not available. Change your bundle identifier to a unique string to try again.
UATHelper: Packaging (iOS): Code Signing Error: No profiles for 'com.YourCompany.Game' were found: Xcode couldn't find any iOS App Development provisioning profiles matching 'com.YourCompany.Game'.
UATHelper: Packaging (iOS): Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 13.5'

UPD:
Changing [PROJECT_NAME] to something unique helped to resolve this issue!

I’m really struggling with Apple, even started a thread which has no replies (https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…er-complicated)

I get the following errors-

Error: Failed to connect to bundle ‘com.YourCompany.Crowd’

I then get the same signing error’s that Exelim had above and then some fail to launch bits at the end due to these errors.

I’m massively struggling with Apple’s over complicated stuff, but I need to get somewhere with this. I’d really appreciate any more assistance that anyone can give!

I tell a lie - my errors aren’t the same as Exelim’s.

I have one saying there’s no account for the team I’ve specified. However I’ve not got any Xcode project’s as I’m not a Mac user. In Xcode I have my AppleID set up as an “account”, not a team. However neither the name or the email (which are the only two fields) will stop me getting the error about needing to add a new account. I have Xcode 11.5 which was installed by the person who’s Mac this is.

Again any guidance… I hate Apple right now.

Edit: I’ve found the account ID which appears to work, but now have conflicting provisions. Possibly because I created an Xcode project of the same name in order to find out the ID? Bah.

Thanks for this, wanted to confirm that this works for me in December 2021. A note for anyone who may have some trouble with finding the right ID for the DEVELOPMENT_TEAM part: I had originally used an old xcode project to find mine, and it didn’t work. If this happens to you, try creating a new xcode project and then using that development team id. That wound up working for me.

Thank you so much for posting this. Can confirm it works, just needed to make sure all the devices were “trusted” when installing the .ipa from Xcode.

Unfortunately it does not work in 2024