iOS AR app shows black background rather than a camera overlay in production

Hey,
So i looked at GitHub and it does look like this fix did ship in UE5.3. So if you can use 5.3 i’d recommend you do that.

So I’m not 100% sure what’s going on with your issue.
If you are downloading the file from GitHub then you need to delete the Binaries folder in the plugin and then re-build the plugin. If you just replace the AppleARKitTextures.cpp file in you Engine/Plugins folder then it wont work because UE will just use the existing binary. So you need to copy the plugin to your Project/Plugins directory and then get it to rebuild in Xcode.
Try this:

1. take your Engine/Plugins AppleARKit plugin and copy it to your [PROJECT NAME]/Plugins folder. Go ahead and just create a Plugins folder if you don’t already have one in your project directory.
  2. From now on we’ll just be dealing with the Plugin folder that is in your Project dirrectory. Don’t do anything to the Plugin folder in your Engine folder.
  3. Download the AppleARKitTextures.cpp file from Github and replace the existing file in the Private directory AppleARKit/Source/AppleARKit/Private/
  4. Delete the Binaries and Intermediate folders from the AppleARKit folder
  5. Start up your project in UE Editor. You should see something like this:
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.37.07 PM
    Click Yes and wait for Editor to finish building and launch.

Now you should be good. Build your release app and upload to TestFlight.

Best of luck.
-e

1 Like