Introduction to UE4 Programming (Needs Updating with 4.4)

I ran into problems right away with this tutorial series. Lots of errors coming up once I started the Pickup code. Judging by the video’s comments, I’m not the only one having trouble. I noticed there is a link for the 4.4 Source Code, but it is quite a hassle to open up this code and try to follow along with the videos at the same time. I think this could be solved (and may already haven’t been) if you make the source code readable online instead of having to download it, and open it up in VS. You could also use some “bubble messages” (don’t know what they are actually called) in the videos to make people aware of the problems as they arise.

As a side note, I don’t think copying and pasting code in during a tutorial is a great idea. Not only do we have to pause the video and type it all in, but for people new to C++, the opportunity to get better explination of what we are typing in is missed. For example, I generally know what “TSubobjectPtr<USphereComponent> BaseCollisionMesh” means as a whole, but I don’t know what each individual part is or it’s type.

Hi StoneWolf - sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the tutorial series. What kinds of errors are you getting in the Pickup code? I’d be happy to take a look and see what we can help with. I’ll also see what our options are for making the code more accessible. :slight_smile:

We have been adding annotations to all the UE4 tutorial videos, in hopes to keep them updated as the engine changes. Are you viewing the videos in a particular browser, or on a mobile device?

If you’re new to C++ programming with Unreal Engine, we do also have these written resources you might find useful:

These both have inline code, and lots of step-by-step explanations.

You can open a browser window in Visual Studio and play the video there. View >Other Windows >Web Browser. It will be in a tab which you can drag, and when the icons pop up, select the right-most button to drop it on. This will give you two tabs side by side, one you have your code in and the other with the browser for your video.