Interior Architectural Real time Visualization in Unreal Engine

This project is done in collaboration with . I tried the new lighting setup and Lightmass techniques in this one, after several combination for speed and quality I settled for the decent quality and amazing speed. It took only 1 hour and 52 mins to render the lightmass on two networked machine with i7 4930K overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Generally Lightmass resolution is 256-512 on objects with exception of floor and some wall panels at 1K.

As we are learning more awesome things day by day in Unreal Engine(Digging deep into lightmass) and we are loving it more and more.

Yet there are several things which need improvements like –

Better settings to control Lightmass and Photon mapping,
Area Lights(Desperately need this ASAP),
Area shadows(They announced for 4.9, yet to test it),
Physical Camera controls for Exposure,
and last but no the least – PBR Architectural Material Presets (A realistic glass material is the perfect one to start with).
Hope you like it.

Lighting Only

Nice job here . Concerning lightmass and photon mapping settings, it may never happen…if you Watch this Stream (its mostly about arch-viz by the way, good Watch)http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/9087073, near the end they answer that question and they say we should be able to get the results we want with the current editor settings.

My current project takes 4 hours to bake with quite high settings. Uncompressed lightmaps with resolutions ranging from 64 to 2048. Indirect lighting quality to 10, bounces to 100. I record my matinee in 4k resolution. My biggest trouble right now is making decent looking chrome/stainless steel material and getting decent reflections. I also use 2 pc in swarm for this. A i7 4790k and a i7 2600k. :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work. I like your G.I in the scene!

Nice job here . Concerning lightmass and photon mapping settings, it may never happen…if you Watch this Stream (its mostly about arch-viz by the way, good , near the end they answer that question and they say we should be able to get the results we want with the current editor settings.

My current project takes 4 hours to bake with quite high settings. Uncompressed lightmaps with resolutions ranging from 64 to 2048. Indirect lighting quality to 10, bounces to 100. I record my matinee in 4k resolution. My biggest trouble right now is making decent looking chrome/stainless steel material and getting decent reflections. I also use 2 pc in swarm for this. A i7 4790k and a i7 2600k. :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work. I like your G.I in the scene!
[/QUOTE]

Glad you liked it.

I personally think editor settings are not Arch Viz friendly, we can get decent results with sliders but with unnecessary rendering times and unpredictability is always there. For the current scene I used a very low value in static light scale and Indirect bouces to 100 with Indirect Lighting smoothness to its lowest value for the sharp shadows and Indirect lighting quality value is only “2”. Using these values will give patchy GI with unusable lightmaps, to remove the patches we eventually have to edit the Baselightmass.ini. In this scene I tried to found a decent balance between quality and speed, increasing the Indirect lighting quality value drastically increases the rendering time without any noticeable difference after certain quality threshold.

I intentionally kept the Lightmass resolution to bare min to achieve decent results.

Default editor settings are good but they can be awesome if they provide some better documentation and extra control for people in arch-viz. As they have already implemented the Area Shadows for stationary lights in 4.9, if by chance they introduce Area Lights too…it will be awesome. Looking forward for that. Meanwhile lets keep learning and improving by helping each other :slight_smile:

Interesting workflow . I’m not very connoisseur about photon mapping but I’d like to get a book about it to learn how it works. I asked for a demo of http://graphinesoftware.com/blog/2015-08-06-granite-unreal-483-out-light-map-streaming to see if it’s something interesting. Right now my project is Faaaaaaaaaaaar from being optimized. It looks great and run great but I know it’s because I have a gtx 980 lol.

I will try your workflow eventually, if I end up with similar results but lower build time it would be great. It’s summer, it’s hot and I don’t like to hear my computer spin like crazy during 4+ hours with temps reaching 95 degrees. :-S One day it’s going to explode because of lightmass haha

VERY IMPRESSIVE ! May i ask how u setup the light outside? it really soft, mine is somehow too bright?

@dangngo - Lighting setup is all very simple with Directional light as SUN and skylight for the soft shadows and ambient light. To keep the scene from burning use White color with RGB values between .92-.94 for each channel, because in real life objects don’t have pure white or high saturated colors generally. This will keep the white from washing away or burning in directional light. Then comes the fun part, use Post process to control the scene exposure.

&stc=1

how about the frame rate?
Im looking to use acrhviz with oculus rift, but in my tests im getting vibrating.

Looks like the problem is frame rate.

Personally, the best way to record I’ve found is by using nvidia shadowplay (nvidia GTX 6xx and newer cards hardware feature). Upscale your resolution in-game to 2k or 4k and shadowplay will record without performance hit at 60 fps in h.264. It’s incredible. It’s the only way I’ve found to make clean looking videos.

@infinite8 I use Matinee and render out PNG sequence with 2K resolution then I down sample to 1980x1080 for smooth results. I also execute “r.ssr.quality 4” command at level blueprint for smooth reflections. For sequence composting use your desired application.

I am constantly getting 75 Fps on Oculus Rift DK2 on GTX970 4GB, and Without Oculus the frame rate is above 200fps. There may be several reasons behind drops in frame rate or vibrating, general causes include - High Poly meshes, Uncompressed lightmaps, High resolution textures(If texture streaming is on) etc.

&stc=1

&stc=1

Oh you are right, i use pure white (lol), that why its so bright and burn the whole scene, thx alot man :smiley:

Many thanks .
Im working in something also. Hope to post here as soon as possible.